Ringu impressions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard Hardbattle, Feb 28, 2003.

1. Richard Hardbattle

Richard Hardbattle Stunt Coordinator

My Canadian copy of Ringu has just turned up.

The box is not bilingual, and there is no insert in the box.

The print is WAY better than my UK Tartan version, and the sound,
    remixed in 5.1 is a huge improvement on the previous release.

Should scare the piss out of anybody who has a good imagination!

Enjoy!

Rich

2. Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y Screenwriter

Cant wait to get this Tues!

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

RING! The movie is called THE RING! NOT RINGU

Freaking Dreamworks

4. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

Jeff I assume you are talking about the Japanese version? That's simply 'Ring' (Without the 'The')

5. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

but the box says "Ringu"... those Dreamworks idiots! aaaaargh! just because some Japanese pronounced "Ring" as "Ringu" they think they can get away with it.

I guess the Asian market should rename North American titles based on how it's pronounced using their own language then.

For example, the Region 3 release for "Titanic" should be retitled to "Taytanik", or "Temple of Doom" to "Tempel of Dum".

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Jeff Kleist

David:

In Japanese, the title is written in katakana, the phonetic alphabet for non Japanese originating words

So while it is written "Ringu" it is INTENDED as "Ring"
    Lum is written "Lumu" but it's Lum

And any translator would have told them that

7. Brendan Brown

Brendan Brown Stunt Coordinator

Oh well, I guess we can't call Karaoke 'Karaoke' anymore but 'Kara-Orch' (sarcasm)

Seriously though, the Japanese are perfectly capable of having an English alphabet title and do so quite often if they choose (Battle Royale) and that is officially listed that way instead of 'Bataru Royaru' which is how it would come out in Katakana. in this case the official title was spelled out in Katakana 'Ringu' and is spelt that way (usually with the Hepburn romanization) in film registries. That is the Filmmaker's intention.

I'm sure those poor feeble minds at Dreamworks are kicking themselves right now because they had absolutely no idea that 'Ringu' actually was 'Ring' instead of a huge coincidence....SHOKU! (sarcasm again)

Also, it makes it much faster to distinguish between remake and original. I see no problem with calling it 'Ringu'

8. Jeff Kleist

They should have called their film something else. How about "The Unnecssary Remake of Ring" Just because some Wal-Mart hick is too stupid to look at the package and buy the "right" one doesn't mean that they should put the wrong title on a film

9. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

10. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

11. Brendan Brown

Dwayne:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

12. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

13. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

14. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

Thank you for the explanation, Damin.

How is it displayed on Japanese media?

15. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

16. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

Thanks for the links. It does seem inefficient, but I understand it's purpose.

Dreamworks is not the first one to identify the film as "Ringu". Google the word ringu and you will see that the word has been used by many. That doesn't justify it's use, but I haven't heard any arguments until now, the eve on which Dreamworks is actually going to deliver this film into our grubby hands.

17. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

18. Brendan Brown

Actually they're giving us the EXACT romanization. It's not supposed to be a translation, but the exact word as said by every person in japan that goes up to the box office and asks for a ticket for RINGU "..o kudasai" because that's the name of the film.

There are three characters used: 'RI' 'N' (the only consonant not followed by a vowel in the alphabet) and 'GU'

Frankly, the way the Japanese adapt loanwords from other languages, it really means that it's now a (slighly unorthodox) Japanese word. Just like English is mostly made up of Loan Word from French, German, Et Al.

I can't believe people are complaining that Dreamworks is giving us the exact Japanese title as spelt by the filmmakers and original novelist converted directly into 'romanji' (roman alphabet)

I mean, if that's not acceptable then (as I stated above) we must call Karaoke 'KaraOrch" because 'oke' is a shortened form of the loanword 'Orchestra' (full title is 'Empty Orchestra')

*rolls eyes*

19. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

20. Brendan Brown

I think we're talking about two seperate things here, you seem to be steamed that Dreamworks has not LOCALIZED the title, I'm perfectly satisified that it's a perfect TRANSLITERATION. Hence why I'm not up in arms that my Domestic R1 release of Amores Perros isn't called Love's a Bitch

What I'm saying is that just because a Japanese word had origins from another language (and believe me, when I was there, a significant amount of japanese speech contained such loanwords) doesn't mean that you're OBLIGATED to go back to the original source spelling. Just consider that the film's title was released here UNTRANSLATED but ROMANIZED for computer database purposes...how many clerks at Best Buy are going to bother to learn IME to look up one dvd title on their system?

Having a 'u' on the end of the title is not going to send anybody who would have been interested in picking it up, screaming out the door of the store, especially if it's further clarified that this is the inspiration for Verbinski's version.

If one is going to attack foreign film titles, why wasn't there a fuss about a certain film not being released with the title The Fabulous Destiny of Amelie Poulain? I consider that much more of a breach of intent.