What's new

"Ringing" is it the DVD/player or TV??? (1 Viewer)

Jeff James

Agent
What's your take on "ringing." Sometimes, when I'm viewing like a shot of the moon or another smaller point of bright light in dark scenes, I see a huge halo on the screen...It's kinda faint but enuff to distract me. This may have to do with my Mitsubishi 55807 but I'm not sure. Could it be the DVD player or the DVD transfer. Any ideas about what causes this and if there is a way to fix it.

Thanks so much for your advice and opinions!

-J

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Are you talking about an additional line of contouring around the borders of objects--especially darker objects against a lighter background?

First, how high is your "sharpness" control set? Second, is the SVM defeatable on your Mitsu (I think it is)?

Reduce the "sharpness" to zero, and defeat the SVM. Then see what the results are. Hope this helps.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
And, yes, sometimes you will notice on certain DVDs an excessive amount of edge enhancement. And that is never pleasant to look at.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
On my TV (Toshiba 50H72), I see outlines generally on light or white objects against a somewhat darker background. For example, watching a baseball game, where one team wears white. Is this 'ringing'? Whatever it is, it can't be due to my DVD player since I get it for normal (cable) TV watching. I have the sharpness turned down to 12. Is there some other way to control this?

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
I don't think he is talking about what we usually refer to as "ringing" but is instead referring to a halo of light which is of a large portion of the screen size in diameter. That type of optical problem is very common in projection systems. It's not in the DVD or DVD player, but the projection optics which it occurs.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Guy (or anyone), is what I described considered ringing, or ghosting or is there some other name for it? Does this happen on all projectors, or just Toshibas or certain models?

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
It's caused by 'internal reflections' (what it's usually called) on the optics within the set. There are some ways to help it (building a lens hood, for instance) and some sets are better than others, but it's a problem with RPTVs.

John Royster

Screenwriter
It's caused by 'internal reflections' (what it's usually called) on the optics within the set
That's what I was thinkin. Bright moon on dark background and there is a dim halo around it? sounds like internal reflections.
Avia is really good for testing ringing or other artifacts (shameless plug for Guy :) ). Toss in the sharpness and resolution patterns, you'll for sure see it if its there.
But then again I thought that's one of the toshiba flaws - ringing? (don't freak, every RPTV manufacturer has something) Again, you'll see ringing as a shifted outline in contrasting edges. test for ringing with avia.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
I think I may have confused things by adding a second question to this thread. (I had figured the questions were sort of related. Sorry.)

Anyway, in my case, I don't have any dim halos. It sometimes looks like someone outlined a figure with a thick magic marker (when there's a light object on a dark, but not black, background).

Is this called ringing? Ghosting? Edge enhancement? Or are these all the same? And there's no way, aside from applying tape, to deal with this? (For what it's worth, I have Video Essentials, not Avia.)

As long as it's a general RPTV or Toshiba problem, and not a defect with my set, then I'm ok with it. It's not THAT bad.

I had heard of the problem with internal reflections but I thought it applied to something else I'm seeing: on just a few cable stations (AMC, TCM, a few others), I see some purplish light on the left side of the screen (when it's not camouflaged by what's in the picture) as if some light is being reflected out of the edge. Is this related to the ringing/edge enhancement problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks