What's new

RHINO to release "exciting" MST3K DVD in 4th Q2003 (1 Viewer)

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
From The Satellite News:

"The good folks at Rhino Home Video have apparently rethought their plans for MST3K this year. They now tell us they are planning an "exciting" DVD release for the fourth quarter of 2003. The plans are still in their very early stages, so we have no information on what will be on the DVD or when exactly it will be released. As we receive more info, we'll be sure to pass it along. Stay tuned!"

This is really cool, because they had earlier reported that they had no more plans to release MST3K boxsets this year. So I'm wondering what it could be... in a perfect world they some how obtained the Movie and are creating a special edition of it, but that's too good to be true. However, you never know.

Anybody else want to wager a guess?

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
4th quarter...x-mas.
I'll take a stab and say...."Santa Clause"
(the terrible mexican film, where Santa Vs the Devil) and "Gunslinger"(yet unreleased episode on dvd)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i hope it's santa claus vs. the martians.

my favorite missing ep.

~~~tony danza is an accomplished actor~~~

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
No, probably not a new one...but I can guess that they're going to issue some never-on-video episodes. That, or they've been able get video rights to the Sci-Fi Channel episodes from Universal/USA...we shall see...

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
My guess is that there actually making a NEW MST3K episode direct for DVD!
They actually looked into this, unfortunately sales #s don't justify the expense. Remember Best Brains no longer has all their old space. New Studio, new set, have to buy/rent new equipment. Then there's film rights, even if they found public domain, and people's time.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The only two Rhino tapes not on DVD (not counting Colossal Man, since MGM reclaimed it) are Gunslinger and Shorts Vol. 3.

There are also a handful of tapes that the Info Club only sold like the many host segment compilations, Poopie! II, Mr. B's Lost Shorts, Assignment Venezuela/Century 21 Calling/A Case of Spring Fever, The Last Dance - RAW, and the MST3K Scrapbook.

I think it would be cool to package the 2 BBI shorts compilations, the scrapbook, The Last Dance, and Poopie II on a DVD like "The MST3K Anthology" or something.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
I would be elated to find that they had the Sci-Fi Channel rights. The host segments from that era generally suck, but there are some classic episodes there:

- Horror of Party Beach
- Werewolf
- Space Mutiny
- The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living & Became Mixed-Up Zombies

I'll tell you right now for those who haven't seen it that TISCWSL&BMUZ rivals Manos for sheer movie-making stupidity. :D

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Perhaps they made arrangements with Universal for the rights to Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie.
That would be nice....unlikely..but nice.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
If they DID gain rights to the Scifi episodes, some of the best (and easily obtained) would be:

Jack Frost
The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Died and Became Mixed-Up Zombies
The Final Sacrifice
Girl In Gold Boots
Horror Of Party Beach
Prince Of Space
Invasion of the Neptune Men
Time Chasers (Edgewood, who produced it, was flattered by BBI's episode. Go figure.)
Hobgoblins (BBI got the rights from Greydon Clark!)
The Touch of Satan
Boggy Creek II
Hamlet

Many of these are in the public domain or have few rights problems. It's likely that the AIP and Universal film episodes won't be on DVD due to more expensive rights.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Ill bet it's Sci Fi Episodes, and I'll bet yet again some thats its one of the 20 something episodes that are currently being aired OVER AND OVER.

About half of the Sci Fi Episodes are currently off the schedule because of rights issues, so those episodes would probably be equally hard to secure the rights for on DVD.

Episodes like GORGO, INCREDIBLY STRANGE CREATURES, I WAS A TEENAGE WEREWOLF, and DEADLY MANTIS have not aired in about 5 years, and were ever only shown once or twice.

Any new releases would be welcome however, especially episodes like SANTA CLAUSE CONQUERS THE MARTIANS, or and of the Sandy Frank properties.

my most sought after DVD releases would be
GAMERA VS GUIRON
TIME OF THE APES
LAST OF THE WILD HORSES
THE STARFIGHTERS
RADAR SECRET SERVICE
ROCKET ATTACK USA
THE DEADLY MANTIS

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Maybe a DVD of ALL the shorts?? :):)

Or maybe those Summer Movie specials?? :):)

Oooo what could it be?

Thanks for the scoop. I'll keep an eye on this thread!

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
Some how "exciting" seems to imply more to me then just obtaining the rights to Sci-Fi stuff. After all, Rhino did say earlier that they would be done releasing sets this year... so this has to be very big, and very cool.

Perhaps it some sort of behind the scenes DVD, with new interviews, outtakes, and who knows what else. Or the Movie. I'm hoping for the movie.

PLEASE LET IT BE THE MOVIE!!!!

Sorry about that. Anyhoo, can't wait for the winter (Can't believe I'm saying that.)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I know that a few here don't like it, as far as Sci-Fi episodes go, but I truly got a kick out of Squirm....too bad the director was apparently insulted by it....I guess Eminem feels the same way about Weird Al Yankovic.:)

For the record, Space Mutiny is my absolute favorite of the Sci-Fi episodes..."We put our faith in Blast Hardcheese!

Stump Chunkman....

Bolt McLargehuge....

Steak Fistcrunch....

Buff Hardback....

Bob Johnson...Oh!"
:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks