What's new

Resonance chamber? (1 Viewer)

Hi guys,

This is actually my first post here, and this may be a noob question too, so bear with me. I am interested in building speakers, but haven't yet (my dad's K-horns rock though, I know that much).

In large auditoriums I've heard of a term "resonance chamber" used in order to increase the bass output in a hall. I was wondering if the same idea could be used in a room, using an open ended box of some sort. I think if this was put in a high-ceilinged room it could work. I've searched these forums and can't find anything on it, and it's hard to find some info Googling for it. Any ideas?

Arthur_King

Stunt Coordinator
Im not sure what you're referring to.

Do you mean something like the HornLoaded subwoofers people have made?

Like the

Cam S

Screenwriter
Arthur, those links don't work and nothing but popups come up and they are a bugger to get rid of, ya might wanna edit them.

TimForman

Supporting Actor
Uh, the second link worked for me (not the first one though) and the Royal Device compression chamber is amazing. 100 db at 6 meters with 1 watt? OMG!

Wow, that's a HUGE horn. Think of the group delay....

The resonance chamber I was thinking of has no active drivers. I think it's just an open box in the roof. Just to help amplify live musical performances.

TimForman

Supporting Actor
This sounds like resonance boost which requires some serious math calculations using wavelengths, room dimensions, etc..I bet a course in acoustical engineering would help you find the answer. ;) Seriously though, there is a lot to be gained by "tuning" your room. Not an easy task, but interesting. You could continue Googling for "room acoustics". Might find something useful.

These resonance chambers I was talking about I think are what you are saying Mr. Forman. These chambers are big enough for people to stand in. I should look for an acousitcal engineering course at school when I'm in upper division. Sounds interesting.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Tim is right..

Those Resonance Chambers are tuned to boost specific
frequencies and it would take some major work both in the
room and mathmaticaly to get it right. Your best bet it to
get the room as acousticaly inert as possible then check
the total ouput of your system at every frequency and if
you need to equalize from there you can do so. The goal is
flat (I am guessing that's what you want) you can easily
equalize a subwoofer with a Behringer Feedback Destroyer
and dealing with midrange and trebbel is done via careful
positioning of the mains and eliminating the first and
second reflection points either from use of acoustic
pannels or something more creative (diffusors, bookcases)
Tapestries, paintings etc..

Also if you really have room mode issues with bass that the
BFD doesn't remedy then you can DIY your own Bass Traps.
Our resident Gomer (Anthony Gomez) has done some very nice
Bass Traps for his listening room.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I think "Helmholtz" resonators is what Jason is talking about.

I guess they are chambers with a neck and opening that "resonate" at certain frequencies much like a coke bottle. They can also be built as a slotted wall to do the same thing.

IMO, the bass traps will not effectively "increase" the bass in your hall that much. Instead, they level the frequency response of the room by raising/lowering the dips and peaks depending on the tuning frequency.

An easier bass tuning treatment is an absorbing bass trap that physically slows the air movement down in the high pressure corner regions of a room.

Not long ago I made some nice bass traps that helped flatten my room's frequency response.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Chris,

Who are you trying to B.S here?

Everybody knows that the Hemholtz Resonator was used
on Deck 20 in Jeffrey's Tube C9 on the U.S.S Class D Enterprise!

Beam me up! :D

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
AFAIK, what you're talking about is like a Helmholtz resonator, except made from concrete or ceramics to enhance the output. Problem is, they have a high Q and therefore ring quite a bit. Most of us are trying to remove these types of resonances from our rooms, hence the use of treatments or EQ.

Pete

I think a Helmholtz resonator sounds like the same idea. But if it rings why would they use it?

Could they be made of wood?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks