What's new

Replacemet for Boston VR950s (1 Viewer)

James_Welch

Agent
After many upgrades over the past few months I have become very disappointed with my current main speakers for two channel music. I currently have a pair of Boston VR950s which does not present a detailed soundstage and imaging as I have been hearing as I have been auditioning other components. The other day I was at a dealer listing to my exact system except for a pair of linn speakers (they were $2,100 I forget the model) and was combination was vastly superior to what I have now.

I would like to keep it around $1,000 if possible but can go as high as $2,000 if that what it takes to get a large improvement over what I have now . would the Swann 5.2 , 6.1 or axiom m60ti be a large step from the VR950? Is there an over achieving $1,000 speaker that I should give a listen to first? Currently I have a Rotel 1068, Adcom GFA 5500 for fronts Rotel 1075 center and rear, Vel SPL10 and a rotel 1072 cd player. I know speakers can be very much a personal preference but any help pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Tom D

Stunt Coordinator
Hi James, I would go back and try to see if you could get the Linn speakers. If you heard the Ninka, from Linn then I just picked up a pair. I swapped out some older Paradigm Esprit bipolars and wow what a difference. I am happy with Linn's. Awesome soundstage, and the mid bass/bass is sweet sounding. I am running them in pure direct mode on my denon and 2 channel stereo never sounded better. IMO. :D

Regards, Tom

James_Welch

Agent
Thanks Tom. They were infact Ninkas. I did not want to shell out that much but after listening to some B&Ws at lunch to day, I had to move to the $2,000 plus room before I heard any thing close to Linns. So $2,000 might be a more reasonable expectation for a budget.

BTW is there any protective grill for the tweeter on the Ninkas? also why the change in ohms when changeing from active to passive.

Tom D

Stunt Coordinator
I did not look into the active side,however if you go the active route you need to change the crossover network and use Linn amps. I also auditioned Canton karat m60 and s8's as well as Paradigm ref40 and 60's and Energy Veritas 2.4i's. The Linns were more expensive (shh dont tell my wife) But when I demoed the cantons/paradigms and the Linns at home I preferred the sound of the Linns. To be honest I alway felt there was something missing - and it was the warmth - mid bass/bass. I just picked up my set of Linns and are breaking them in. I also picked up the Trikan centre. I am loving the full sound of music so far.

Good Luck, Regards Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks