Replacemet for Boston VR950s

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by James_Welch, Aug 30, 2004.

1. James_Welch

James_Welch Agent

After many upgrades over the past few months I have become very disappointed with my current main speakers for two channel music. I currently have a pair of Boston VR950s which does not present a detailed soundstage and imaging as I have been hearing as I have been auditioning other components. The other day I was at a dealer listing to my exact system except for a pair of linn speakers (they were $2,100 I forget the model) and was combination was vastly superior to what I have now.

I would like to keep it around $1,000 if possible but can go as high as $2,000 if that what it takes to get a large improvement over what I have now . would the Swann 5.2 , 6.1 or axiom m60ti be a large step from the VR950? Is there an over achieving $1,000 speaker that I should give a listen to first? Currently I have a Rotel 1068, Adcom GFA 5500 for fronts Rotel 1075 center and rear, Vel SPL10 and a rotel 1072 cd player. I know speakers can be very much a personal preference but any help pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.

2. Tom D

Tom D Stunt Coordinator

Hi James, I would go back and try to see if you could get the Linn speakers. If you heard the Ninka, from Linn then I just picked up a pair. I swapped out some older Paradigm Esprit bipolars and wow what a difference. I am happy with Linn's. Awesome soundstage, and the mid bass/bass is sweet sounding. I am running them in pure direct mode on my denon and 2 channel stereo never sounded better. IMO. [​IMG]

Regards, Tom

3. James_Welch

James_Welch Agent

Thanks Tom. They were infact Ninkas. I did not want to shell out that much but after listening to some B&Ws at lunch to day, I had to move to the $2,000 plus room before I heard any thing close to Linns. So $2,000 might be a more reasonable expectation for a budget.

BTW is there any protective grill for the tweeter on the Ninkas? also why the change in ohms when changeing from active to passive.

4. Tom D

Tom D Stunt Coordinator

I did not look into the active side,however if you go the active route you need to change the crossover network and use Linn amps. I also auditioned Canton karat m60 and s8's as well as Paradigm ref40 and 60's and Energy Veritas 2.4i's. The Linns were more expensive (shh dont tell my wife) But when I demoed the cantons/paradigms and the Linns at home I preferred the sound of the Linns. To be honest I alway felt there was something missing - and it was the warmth - mid bass/bass. I just picked up my set of Linns and are breaking them in. I also picked up the Trikan centre. I am loving the full sound of music so far.

Good Luck, Regards Tom