What's new

Repair or Replace? (1 Viewer)

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
Our Pioneer DV-333, a steal five years ago at $189, has been increasingly acting up lately. For a while, it wouldn't accept any "up/down" or "enter" commands from the remote until it had been on for several minutes, and now it won't accept the commands at all. So it's been replaced by a venerable old Toshiba SD-2006 (kickin it old school, baby!) while I decide what to do. The Toshi is not an acceptable permanent replacement as it has serious problems with many newer DVDs, especially Disney SEs.

So I have a couple linked questions:

1) Has anyone experienced this problem before? What was the repair like?

2) Is it worth repairing, or should we go ahead and spend that money on a replacement deck? You can get more for $90 these days, it seems, than I got for $190 back in the day.

3) What should we replace it with? This is a most complicated question, as I am a poor graduate student. I have a fairly standard 5.1 setup through a Pioneer XSD-D606 and a 32" standard Toshiba monitor using S-Video. I'm kind of torn between the desire to be a leeeetle bit future-proof and the need to be economical.

Thanks in advance for the help. I'm not around here much these days, mainly because I'm poor and can't afford anything but software, and the Forum just makes me envious.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The repair bill would probably be at least as much as a new DVD player. It will probably cost $75 just to have a technician look at the player. Personally, I wouldn't put any money into a five year old player.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Depending on your t.v. maybe you should look at the ones that upscale to 1080i. As soon as I get my Sony RPTV I plan to get either the Zenith 318 with Faroudja chip and upscale through the component video or the Samsung 841 through the DVI. Here's your opportunity.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I never had a DVD player that lasted 5 years,and they all cost more then $189.They all got replaced.Currently on #5 already over a year old,still working though.
What I'm try to say is yes replacement is probably cheaper and you get more up to date tech.Yes, a lot has happened in 5 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks