Repair or ISF cal: Convergence big time out of wack!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by DustinLC, Apr 27, 2005.

1. DustinLC

DustinLC Supporting Actor

I own a Hitachi RPTV (43FDX01B)

As I was watching TV, it suddenly went off. The red is like a headspace away creating multiple color shadow of images. The TV has a simple horizontal and vertical line convergence. However, the red doesn't even come close to matching up at maximum allowed. I know that there's a 64 point convergence you can do if you open it up. Never tried it myself but I doubt that would do any good if it's that off with the simple convergence.

Is this a call for repair or should I get a video except to calibrate it. Would an ISF video cal expert know what's wrong?

Thanks in advance!

2. John Whittle

John Whittle Stunt Coordinator

Since this happened suddenly, I'd expect to find a failed component. This would be a service call for repair and then you can get it calibrated and converged.

John

3. DustinLC

Well, repairman will be here on friday. Unfortunately, no single place can give me an estimated cost so I have no idea how high it could go up to. That's kind of scarey.

4. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Convergence ICs. Should be around the $300 mark for repair.

5. DustinLC

Johnny, I was doing some research and thought about the ICs also. I couldn't find out the cost though. Is your $300 total for everything? I don't really know what they are. Is it something that is associated with each bulb?

It'll be nice if you can give me a little feedback on it so I won't get suckered tomorrow.

Thanks [​IMG].

6. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

My experience with this is all in Toshiba's, but I believe most brands are quite similar. On Toshiba sets, at least, there are 2 chips and they aren't very expensive at all - something like $10 each. The rest is labour.