What's new

rentals (1 Viewer)

chris winters

Second Unit
This week was gonna be a slow movie week for me, and instead i saw some of the best films Ive seen in a long time. I rented, by chance,

spartan -an absorbing if slightly low rent version of man on fire. Its also more authentic, and a lot less glossy. pretty good stuff.

then came the documentories, and man was I blown away. I dont usually see many docs, even when I hear they are great. This is not on purpose, they just dont cross my path.

The city of God -amazing pseudo-doc of the gangs of rio the idea that they are actors, and this director is a newbie is astounding. It is stellar from every concevable point of filmaking.

Capturing the Freedmans -amazing doc about the arrest and prosecution of the friedman family, suposedly involved in a child sex ring in the 80s. Were they, or werent they guilty, youll be thinking about it for a long time. So this is justice??

The fog of war -documentary about robert macnamera -defense secretary througout the beginning of the vietnam war. Also contributed to the japenese campaign in WW2. Im still reeling after seeing it. His insights, and humanity while you judge and loathe him for some of his actions was so moving I still cant stop thinking about it. Bright and articulate, proud and sensative while discussing how he was involved in the fire-bombing of hundreds of thousands of japense civilans, and some of the controversial aspects of the vietnam war just has to be seen.

all 3 of the docs were truly 4 star affairs. spartan maybe a surprise 3 star affair. I highly recommend them, especially for many of us who usually dont seek out these kinds of flicks. I like my sugar cereal and van helsings as much as the next guy, but maybe I have grown up afterall.

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
City of God isn't a documentary, but all four of these films are absolutely first rate.

I wonder if we can turn this thread into a rental review thread, or something of the kind?

chris winters

Second Unit
i knew city of god was not a true doc. But I called it a pseudo-doc becuase in my mind, the style and tone of the film seemed hed in that direction. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks