What's new

Remote: 15-2104 or RCA RCU810? (1 Viewer)

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
Im am struggling with a dilema, I dont know if I should get a 15-2104(unable to find a 1994 locally) or the rca rcu810. I have seen them both, have read many reviews on both but still unable to make up my mind (which is normal)
Here is my equipment, TV- Zenith , receiver denon 1602, dvd-samsung, vcr-symphonic. I know my dvd and receiver has a lot of buttons that will probably need 'learned' So I am afraid of running out of memory. BTW, If this post is over 3 hours old I may have already made up my mind :) but any help is appreciated.
Brian
oh, the reason I am looking at these two is I want a backlit, hardbutton, cheap remote. The rca is 50 bucks the rs is on sale for 30 . thanks again

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
Here are my opinions...

Backlighting is useful at the start, but then if the remote has hard buttons (much preferred over LCD panels), you rapidly learn to reach the right button by feel, and there's no need at all for the backlighting. Saves on battery, too.

(If you have anything other than a front projection system, there is--or should be--enough light in the room to see the buttons on the remote. No need to read the actual label on the button.)

What is important is that every button be programmable and that there be enough memory so that there are no effective programming limitations.

A better choice than either of those remotes is the Sony RM-VL900, or the VL700 if you can do with only 5 devices and no macros.

Mike_A

Stunt Coordinator
the sony's are better if you want to do a lot of learning, but i believe the Radio Shack/RCA RCU810 are better if you're willing to construct a JP1 cable (http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1), in which case you'll be able to program every little detail of the remote as well as set up some sweet macros and possibly even add some functions that weren't on your original remote.
As for 2104 vs rcu810, i went with the rcu810 because i liked the button layout better. the 2104, however, does have the jp1 connector already on the board (the rca requires soldering it in) as well as more flexibility to program specific keys when not using a jp1 cable (they're the same with a jp1 cable).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks