What's new
World Wide Stereo

remodel dillema, large center channel with a flat panel (1 Viewer)

Dan-HH

Auditioning
We are remodeling a wall that had a TV cubby made for a 36 inch tube TV, and it was plenty deep to allow my Polk CS400i to sit on top.

I'm having trouble making this somewhat large center channel fit. 9"h x 19"w x 14 inches deep.

the new plan centers the fireplace on this wall and above the mantel will be the location for the flat panel. I had planned to flush mount the center channel above the TV but today after tearing out sheetrock I found a 4x16 inch header that makes the option not as viable.

Can I flush mount the center channel and build it into the mantel without ruining the sound? There is a port on the back of the speaker. If I put this in a "box" won't it sound wrong?

Can I mount it all the way up at the top of the ceiling, say 8.5 feet up slightly angled down and have it sound OK? Again will it sound wrong it its mostly surrounded by drywall?

I guess an other option is to find a different (smaller) center to match my front speakers (polk RTi70s) but I really like the overall sound these three speakers present.

Thoughts?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
A rear-ported speaker will not sound good in or against a wall. The 8.5' high option is certainly not ideal, but may not be too bad. However, I would lean toward a new center, preferably one that is made for on-wall (or in-wall) use and matches your other speakers -- assuming such a speaker exists (I don't know if Polk makes on-wall/in-wall speakers or not).

Real Name
Preston
I have a center channel mounted 8' high and angled down and depending on what I'm watching, I sometimes get frustrated with the sound being 3' higher then the screen. I have tried OVER-angling it towards my legs but it didn't help at all.

This is one of many reasons I am building a real home theater room. The one in the living room has WAY to many issues:

1) Not enough GOOD seats available
2) Other people in the house bother me while I watch movies
3) To much light during the day - even with 2" wood blinds
4) Center channel is mounted to high
5) Rear surrounds are only 1' behind my main seating area
6) No matter where I place my 12" JBL subwoofer - the bass sounds better in the kitchen, foyer and hallway then it does at my main seating area - LOL! Doh.
7) My Toshiba 57" TV does not have VGA/DVI/HDMI inputs
8) There is no room for a 400 disc DVD changer
9) There is only room for 40 DVD cases
10) I could probably keep going on about the problems with this room :)

Dan-HH

Auditioning
ok, thanks. I'm reworking the mantle design to get the Center channel under the display. It means moving the TV up a few inches and the mantle down a few inches which moves the fireplace down a couple inches. I wish I had a 10 foot ceiling.

I'm glad I took the time to diagram this in visio.

Tearout is DONE !! construction starts tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xcvbszdfzsfsa
Recent bookmarks