What's new

Reinstalled Windows and it cleared my hard drive!! (1 Viewer)

William Ward

Supporting Actor
ARGH!!!!!!!

I had an error message when I booted my computer on the explorer.exe file. It said I had to reinstall windows. Little did I know that it would erase everything on my hard drive. AUGH this sucks.

Does anyone have the URL for RamBooster or Download Accelerator. That Download Accelerator was a life saver being that I'm on kick-off happy AOL.

Thanks.....

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Just reinstalling Windows would not in itself wipe your entire hard drive unless you're using one of those 'restore' CDs supplied with pre-built systems from manufacturers such as Dell or Compaq.

What version of Windows are you using and how did you go about 'reinstalling'? I know it doesn't help much now but it might be useful to know incase the same situation comes up again.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Probably your harddisc was inaccessible to begin with - and hence the request to reinstall Windows.

Cees

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
William,

Yup, that System Restore disc would have been what cleared everything off your HDD.

(If something was wrong with your hard drive anyways though, even with a real Win CD you'd have to clear everything)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I would also recommend using a program like Partition Magic to partition Windows onto another drive letter (IE: Windows on the C drive, files on the D drive). That way you can uninstall windows to your heart's content and your files would still be fine.
mine is...
C drive - Windows
D drive - MP3s
E drive - Misc
F drive - Games
G drive - DVDROM
H drive - CDRW
...of course, that could get confusing for some people ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks