What's new

Region free Blu-rays that are "not authorized for sale outside The USA" sold though Amazon outside The USA?? (1 Viewer)

Ronazai

Auditioning
Real Name
Krister
So I live in Europe and want to buy a Blu-ray release through Amazon, but I noticed the back cover says: "Not authorized for sale outside The USA."
Oddly the Blu-ray itself is region free. It's by Warner Brothers and I read that all their Blu-rays are region free. Doesn't that mean they want their stuff to be available for everybody?
Also why I able to order this on both Amazon US and Amazon UK websites. Does that mean Amazon has the rights from Warner Brothers and that text on the back cover doesn't count?

Now you may ask that if I can order it and it's region free, then what's the problem? It's just a matter of principle for me. Don't want to do anything illegal.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
There's nothing illegal about it. The warning is to create the perception of a legality problem in order to discourage the sale outside of the region or regions the publisher wishes to make it available in.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
It is nothing more than a "cover your ass" (CYA) measure to satisfy jurisdictional licensing type agreements. Everybody knows it is completely ineffective and largely useless, both technically and legally.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks