What's new

Reference DVD players part 2 (1 Viewer)

Craig Rup

Grip
I wanted to get a open minded opinion on the Sony NS999ES before I mentioned the second part. As stated I have this player and have had no problems with it, but I have the option of returning it for the Denon 2200, I paid $650 for the sony which is a hell of a deal but if the 2200 garners the support of the home theater world as being heads and tails a better player I may as well do this, am I correct in this assumption.

Stephen M

Stunt Coordinator
No you are not correct IMO. I am a Denon fan, but the Sony ES is a great player and is comparable to the Denon 2900 that retails for $1,000. You got a GREAT deal. I used to have a Denon 2800 II and its video was inferior to the Pioneer 47ai I now have. I think Denon is still using the same video processor in the Denon 2200 and 2900. If you want to go for DVD-A, the Denons are quite good; otherwise, if it was me, I would stay with the Sony.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Craig,

I think the video quality on the 2200 and 2900 is virtually the same. The main difference is in their analog audio sections. I think it is a matter of opinion between the Sony 999es and Denon 2200/2900 when it comes to picture quality (the Denon 2900 beat it in the Secrets testing), but the 2900 is definitely better than the Pioneer (which has the chroma bug) imho. The 2800 MkII and 2900 are not the same videowise and use different MPEG decoders. $650 is an excellent price for the Sony though, but just remember that the Sony DOES NOT have DVD-A capability and the Denon's do.

Reg

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
If you're happy with the video output quality, and have no burning need for DVD-A, stay with the Sony-----five times the warranty as well.

Mort

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks