What's new

Recommendations for AVR and Bookshelf Speakers? (1 Viewer)

cupofdoug

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug
Hello!

I'm moving in with my girlfriend and my main source of music (computer) is being put into an office in the back of the house. I'd like to purchase a receiver and a couple speakers for the living room primarily for music, but obviously tv/movies as well. Networking is a must, so I can stream from any computer in the house as well as our Android cell phones. If Bluetooth is needed for the phones, so be it. Also I'd like to be able to attach a wireless speaker (in the future) if possible. She is planning on buying a 4k TV in the near future, we have a Blu-Ray player and I'd like a few extra hdmi ports for possible additions.

The living room is not large.. it's about an 1100 square foot bungalow. I haven't measured the room and am fairly terrible at estimating.. but I'd say maybe around 15x10 and enclosed with just 1 entrance. That said, we rent the house and could potentially have a bigger living room by the end of the summer, so a solution with some room for growth would be ideal.

For now I'd like to keep it under $1,000 for the AVR and 2 speakers. If anyone could offer a couple products at different price points and I can compare the features that would be great! While I'm looking in the entry-level market, something scalable would be ideal! Thanks for any suggestions.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
So you want an AVR (with networking, bluetooth, and a few HDMI ports) with a pair of bookshelf speakers under $1000. You're room size is 15x10 and you would like to expand it in the future. Sounds like I got it all?

Some questions...
  • Are you are going to expand to a 5.1 or 7.1?
  • Do you need zone two capability?
  • Is there a reason for books over towers, such as space constraints?
  • Are you going to put these bookshelf speakers on the wall, on stands or just sit them on some existing furniture?
  • What kinds of music are you into?
  • How loud do you normally like to listen to it?
  • You said primarily for music but how often do you think you're going to use this for movies? (70/30 music/movies or something else)
  • Are you ok with buying refurbed or do you want only new?
Let us know and we'll see if we can't point you in the right direction.

cupofdoug

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug
  • A 5.1 system will probably be more than I need for awhile. If I have a larger area for a home theater system further down the road I will consider upgrading.
  • Two zone capability isn't a necessity, but definitely a nice perk that I'm interested in. My girlfriend and I have somewhat different taste in music, so if I'm working in the office and she's watching TV in the living room two zone would be great.
  • I don't have a strong preference for books over towers at this point, thanks for asking that. There might be space restrictions considering the wall that the system is going to be on, but if I were to get books I would probably also be getting stands which would seem to take up about the same amount of space.
  • The music that we listen to is extremely varied. I listen to some reggae, ska, folk, folk-punk, acoustic, and old-school rap. She likes country, R&B, and top 40 stuff. Something well balanced but with capable low-end for sure.
  • The volume will usually be at normal-ish levels. There are times that I'm home alone that I'll probably crank it up a bit while I'm cleaning or working in another room.
  • I'd say 60/40 music/movies. I listen to music pretty much every day, but we watch TV and movies at night as well.
  • I'm willing to consider refurb if it's something that is generally low-risk (general consensus, warranty, reviews, etc).
Thanks for your time.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Ok lets see if we can put together a little shopping list for you.

AVR - Denon AVR-X1100W Refurb $250: This has everything you requested, wifi, BT, and 2 zone capable. Add on an extended warranty for less than $40 for 3 years and you're good. You could do 5 years for like $60.

Speakers:
Misc: Don't forget the HDMI cables (how many depends on your sources), optical audio cable for the TV (or other non HDMI sources), and speaker wire.

cupofdoug

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug
Thanks for the suggestions! Upon reading the specs on that AVR I'm worried that I'll bottleneck refresh rate at 60Hz. My current TV is an "older" LCD with a 240Hz refresh rate which I enjoy while watching hockey. Is this a valid concern? And if so, are there comparable models that offer a higher refresh rate?

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
the 240hz content isn't real, it is actually manufactured by your TV which comes after the signal chain.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
cupofdoug said:
Thanks for the suggestions! Upon reading the specs on that AVR I'm worried that I'll bottleneck refresh rate at 60Hz. My current TV is an "older" LCD with a 240Hz refresh rate which I enjoy while watching hockey. Is this a valid concern? And if so, are there comparable models that offer a higher refresh rate?

Not a concern at all. The conversion from 60Hz to 240 Hz is done entirely within the display itself. No consumer electronic device outputs more than 60Hz.

It's the same reason you absolutely, positively DON'T need an HDMI cable that is "rated" to carry 240Hz. It never does and never will.

TimmyBosko

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Bosko
cupofdoug said:
Hello!

I'm moving in with my girlfriend and my main source of music (computer) is being put into an office in the back of the house. I'd like to purchase a receiver and a couple speakers for the living room primarily for music, but obviously tv/movies as well. Networking is a must, so I can stream from any computer in the house as well as our Android cell phones. If Bluetooth is needed for the phones, so be it. Also I'd like to be able to attach a wireless speaker (in the future) if possible. She is planning on buying a 4k TV in the near future, we have a Blu-Ray player and I'd like a few extra hdmi ports for possible additions.

The living room is not large.. it's about an 1100 square foot bungalow. I haven't measured the room and am fairly terrible at estimating.. but I'd say maybe around 15x10 and enclosed with just 1 entrance. That said, we rent the house and could potentially have a bigger living room by the end of the summer, so a solution with some room for growth would be ideal.

For now I'd like to keep it under $1,000 for the AVR and 2 speakers. If anyone could offer a couple products at different price points and I can compare the features that would be great! While I'm looking in the entry-level market, something scalable would be ideal! Thanks for any suggestions.
I know you have seen some great suggestions.. Might I make one.. I have a Yamaha RX-V477 5.1 receiver and two Energy CB-2 bookshelf speakers. Take a look at the specs and see what you think. Definitely under $1000 and they sound fantastic. I listen to mostly Heavy Metal/ hard rock and the wife is into country/top 40.. I can tell you also that I was curious how they would sound without the Sub and I was amazed at how much Bass/lows were present. The louder it got the better it sounded..

Anyway, GL on your journey to a new system.. You are in good hands..

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
I bought a Yamaha RX-V775 at Costco last year for the networking and remote control via iOS and Android (Yamaha's apps are EXCELLENT!), but discovered much much more in the AVR. The package included a Bluetooth dongle that connects via a coax digital input to the receiver.

As I mentioned in another thread, look at Hsu Research's speaker sets. They offer 2.1 and 3.1 packages, they include their superb subwoofers (I just bought a VTF-2 from them). The Hybrid 3 and Hybrid 2 2.1 sets would push you beyond your $1000 target budget (depending upon the AVR), maybe the Hybrid 1 set is all you need, or the Value 1 or Value 2. Their speakers are highly rated, I don't think you'd be disappointed in the VFM (value for money) equation. If there's a chance you two will be watching movies, I would recommend getting at least a 3.1 system; a robust Center channel speaker is a must for movies. Rear surrounds will wow you, but if you really want to start with a modest hi-fi, I'd get fewer speakers of better quality. (You can get their HC-1 later if you prefer.)

Hope this helps....

cupofdoug

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug
Hey thanks, everyone, for the replies. I actually made the purchase that ArmSC recommended. I did some searching around here and did find the Energy CB-20's are held in pretty high regard for that price range. I almost purchased those before I even posted here, the reviews on Amazon and around here were both pretty stellar. I ended up going with the RTi-8 floor-standing speakers as I don't really have a "need" for bookshelf speakers (I realize I posted that in the title) as far as space is concerned, and I was worried about sacrificing quality for a more compact speaker.

Is anyone able to give a brief comparison of the sound quality or range of sound for the RTi8 and CB-20? Also, any recommendations on a speaker for my 2nd zone once I'm ready for another purchase?

Thanks again!

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Excuse me if this is has been answered but I just don't remember. How large is the room for zone 2? Is this indoor or outdoor? what do you plan on doing with zone 2 (critical listening, just ambient music, or party music)? Any space constraints? If indoor do you plan on wall mounting, using stands or would you like another set of floorstanders?

cupofdoug

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug
Hmm now that you mention it, outdoor for zone 2 I think would be the best. Party music or just stuff to have on when we are grilling or having people over.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
OK so you want outdoor speakers that's fairly easy but I have just a few more questions. How much do you want to spend? How large of an area are you trying to cover? You looking for ambient music while relaxing out on the patio or are you looking for a dance club on the back deck? I guess I'm asking what volume are you looking for and what kinds of music are you going to be playing out there?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks