What's new

Recognizing Bank Fraud (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Got this email supposedly from my bank. You tell me what is telling here.

Folks, remember, your bank will never send you something like this in your email.

E-mail Security Information.
Chase_Logo.gif
spacer.gif

Content_Border-Top.gif

spacer.gif

Dear Customer,

Due to recent fraudulent activities on some of our online account we are lunching a new system to make the online account more secure and safe. Before we can activate it we will be checking all of it to confirm the authenticity of the holder.

To ensure your payment information again or to use a different payment method. When you have finished, we will try to verify your account again, if it still does work, you will need to contact your credit/debit card company

What do i need to do ?

1-Visit our page in the link below

2-Log in to your account

3-Put your correct information's

Log-In

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

E-mail Security Information

About This Message

E-mail intended for: %email% . For your card alert

This service message was delivered to you as a chase online user customer to provide you with account update and information about your account benefits. Chase value your privacy and account references .

your personal information is protected by state-of-the-art Technology for more detailed security information [view our online private policy] To request in written: chase privacy operations, PO BOX 659752, San Antonio Texas, 78265-9752

©2018 JPMorgan Chase & Co.

Replies to this email message will not be read or responded to this is a service account

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You got it, Eric!

What's scary is that there are people out there who will willingly click on that link.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I'm always getting "warnings" from WhatsApp and Snapchat...neither one I've ever used.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If I ever get an email or text or what-have-you from my bank or credit card, I always call them up using the number that's actually on my credit card or billing statement, rather than in the email. I figure even if the email is 100% legitimate, it still doesn't hurt to contact them using a more established method of communication rather than clicking the link. But yeah, it's scary how they're able to spoof the exact look of these things for fraud.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I received a similar email about 10 years ago "from" a different bank (in Florida) I notified them of the spoof email and they didn't seem to care ... :(

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I got a voicemail today from a threatening sounding robocall alerting me that there were four warrants out for my arrest, and that it was very important that I call the number they provided and give them a payment immediately otherwise I'd be arrested. Yeah, right.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I got a voicemail today from a threatening sounding robocall alerting me that there were four warrants out for my arrest, and that it was very important that I call the number they provided and give them a payment immediately otherwise I'd be arrested. Yeah, right.

Dood they found out you stole some Fritos ...
1f22865bca9c088edabbabbff3d2dcb8.jpg
;)

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Ron -- did you mean to leave the links active copying your email or am I seeing something different (under the Log-in specifically which appears to be a Dominican Rep. domain?
Aren;t those the compromised websites?

Stan

Senior HTF Member
You got it, Eric!

What's scary is that there are people out there who will willingly click on that link.
That's the sad part. May be mass mail junk, but they send it out to 100K people, costs them very little, easy to fake return addresses, etc. All it takes is one person to fall for it and that persons' bank account gets zapped.

I truly hope I keep my senses about me and never fall for this type of BS later in life.

I used to work for a company that used this same process, done in a more classy way, and they did provide a true product at the end. Mass mailings, purchased mailing lists, USPS, first class, maybe one out of 6,000 would go for it. Trips to Europe, Australia, China, etc. Totally legit, but I always thought kind of a sleazy way to get customers. Our sales people literally sold used cars before being hired.

I was the head IT guy, no sales, but still felt a little guilty.

You register for anything, buy something, join a business association, go to a conference, give up your name, etc. You go into a big database and your info is sold to other companies. Started long before this circumstance did.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I like lunch. I would have responded. :rolling-smiley:

I do get legitimate credit card email fraud alerts from Chase, but the emails never provide a link asking me for account information. My Chase card has been compromised three times in the past couple of years. Their fraud alert algorithms are very good -- I have never been sent a false alert, and they nailed the actual fraudulent charges each time before I could catch them. The last time was while we were at our condo in South Carolina (some charge at a gas station in Massachusetts), and they were very accommodating in overnighting a new card to our condo even though it wasn't an address they had on record -- after they thoroughly determined I was the actual account owner, of course.

Fortunately, I have trained my elderly parents to be on the alert for these types of scams, and they always call me to check. They've been getting calls lately from "Microsoft" saying my dad's Windows license was expiring and his computer was going to be shutdown if he didn't renew it. :rolleyes:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I agree about Chase fraud protection - my card was once compromised and they caught it immediately and made it right with minimal hassle. Happy with their service.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
My friend with a Mac got the Windows pop-up alert telling him to call Microsoft Support for assistance in removing the virus they detected on his Windows PC.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks