What's new

Recognizing Bank Fraud (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
My friend with a Mac got the Windows pop-up alert telling him to call Microsoft Support for assistance in removing the virus they detected on his Windows PC.
I got one of those last week and a couple last year.

Some alarm goes off, a very nice female voice tells you to call "so & so", pay the fees, etc. to unlock your computer. You can't get out of it, but just hit the power button and reboot, it goes away.

Scary part is if even a small percentage of people fall for this scam, free money to the thieves who set it up.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
"information's"
Plus, I think they would use your name, not "dear customer."
I have a Chase CC and the # was stolen about a month ago (for the 4th time in about 10 years), and they caught it and called me when someone was trying to use the # on an internet order and a shopping channel.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
26934E6F-C84F-404B-AC01-87F3FE02E1A1.jpeg
How timely! The grammatical errors are hysterical! But it MUST be okay because it was scanned for viruses.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
I got a voicemail today from a threatening sounding robocall alerting me that there were four warrants out for my arrest, and that it was very important that I call the number they provided and give them a payment immediately otherwise I'd be arrested. Yeah, right.

There's an "IRS" scam that goes like that. Criminals call up people and tell them that they are in trouble with the IRS and better settle up right now unless they want to be arrested.

Then there was the bank scam. Criminals contacted an woman by phone, pretending to be FBI agents. They told her that they suspected a teller of being an embezzler but needed her help. They told her to withdraw her life's savings and meet them at her house. She contacted the real FBI, who suggested that she call the crooks back and agree. When the criminals arrived at the house, to take possession of the money, plainclothes FBI agents took them away...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks