What's new

RECIEVER QUESTION (1 Viewer)

hammer136

Auditioning
Real Name
larry
I have a chance to purchase a Rotel RSX-1055.I need help deciding or should i go with sonething else.If so what do you think.Def Tech BP20s as fronts i need center,rears and a large sub.Any suggestions?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have just a few questions.

Do you own a Blu-ray or HD-DVD player, and if not do you plan on buying a Blu-ray player in the near future?

If you own a HD player do you want to have the ability to decode Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby True HD and DTS-HD Master Audio in your next receiver?

If yes I would only get the Rotel if you have the ability to decode everything inside your Blu-ray or HD-DVD. If you have the ability to bitstream everything to your receiver I would go with the new Denon. Don't get me wrong Rotel makes a very good product but Denon might fit your needs of lossless audio and HD switching if you have or want to get HD sources.

Also the Rotel you are looking at came out around 2003 and I do not think it is still available from Rotel.

Rotel RSX-1055
75 Watts per channel X 5
5.1 Analog Input
2 Assignable Component Video Inputs / 1 Component Out
2 Assignable Optical Inputs / 1 Optical Out
3 Assignable Coaxial Inputs / 1 Optical Out
5 Assignable S-Video Inputs / 3 S-Video Out
5 Assignable Composit Video Inputs / 3 Composit Video Out
2 12v Triggers
Weight 45 lbs

Here is a review of the Rotel RSX-1055 in Secrets Of Home Theater

Product Review

It is not going to have all the newest connections like HDMI 1.3, no HD radio, no decoding for Dolby True HD or DTS-HD Master Audio. But if you are not looking for something that is going to do HD switching and lossless audio and you can get it cheap enough it might be worth a try. Granted if I remember the review I think they said that the video switching was not all that great? Anyway I hope this helps?

hammer136

Auditioning
Real Name
larry
Thank you for your help I do plan on getting a Blue Ray player so I think i will get a new Dennon reciever to get all the newest formats.Do you agree with the Dennon 3803?The rotel was used at 650.00 which i thought wasn't bad.I am now looking at the BP30s.Also an SVS sub,Im on my way it is a large room 25x30.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I think the Denon AVR-3808ci is awsume, that is the receiver that is going to replace my old Yamaha RX-V995. I have listened to it and it sounds really good and I have not heard anything really bad about it. It has had very possitive reviews here at this forum. I am looking at getting the Denon DVD-2500 BTci Blu-ray Transport to go with the Denon AVR-3808ci receiver.

But the Denon is a great choice and they have been building a great product for many years now. I think you will be very happy with a 3808ci!

The SVS subwoofer is another great choice. I was invited by someone on this forum to listen to his HT a few years ago. He had a nice Pioneer Elite receiver with a SVS sub, it was very impressive. You might want to start off with one subwoofer and if you want better bass you could allways add another SVS sub? Just because of the size of your room, but one SVS may be more than enough depending on the size you get. Just remember that subwoofers are basically air pumps. And when trying to fill the room with the really low frequencies you basically need to move air to feel the bass. The bigger the woofer and the longer the travel is, the more air you will move in the room and the more you will feel the bass. That is why a 15" sub can kill a 8" sub in a big room. That is also why the really tinny Bose size speakers do not do well in large rooms. They sound ok at low volumes but when pushed in a large room that is when they sound strained compaired to larger speakers. Speakers are like air pumps and they basically have to vibrate the air to move the sound from the drivers to our ears.

Ooops think I might have gone overboard, sorry. Anyway let us know how the Denon works out for you. I will be saving up for mine and I should have it in 4-5 months.

hammer136

Auditioning
Real Name
larry
Thanks Dave,I am saving up for the Dennon 3803 as well.You really know your stuff,also will be searching the best blu ray player as well.Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks