What's new

Older Yamaha RX-V467 - No ARC - Configurations (1 Viewer)

ENIGMACODE

Agent
Real Name
Mike Harris
Hi Gang

I have a few questions regarding an older Sceptre TV and an older Yamaha RX-V467 reciever: The reciever has 4 HDMI ports including an 'HDMI Out'

Since there's no combined audio & video 'ARC' port, I'll have to use the Optical Audio port from both the TV output to the 'TV Optical Audio' port on the reciever ...

Which HDMI port on the receiver should I use for video from the TV back to the reciever?

What device is typically used for the HDMI-MHL port on the Sceptre TV? - Is this where I connect my roku Ultra?

Regarding an older CD Changer with an 'Optical Audio' port only, (Can I reassign the AV position in the reciever to sync with the 'CD short cut' button on my remote for the RX-V467)?

Here's a screen shot for the ports on the Yamaha RX-V467:
Yamaha RX-467 Ports

Thank You!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Is the TV ever the source of what you watch? Such as it's internal tuner? If not, you don't need the optical connection. If it is, then yeah, use an optical connection.

You shouldn't ever need to get video back to the receiver from the TV, so that should be a non-issue.

Normally your Roku should be connected to an hdmi input on the receiver, not the TV.

The HDMI-MHL input is a special one designed for mobile devices like a smartphone or tablet. I've never actually used them that way, but it's necessary for those devices with a special cable.

ENIGMACODE

Agent
Real Name
Mike Harris
Hello John Rice

Nice to see you ...

Yes I use an external outside antenna for channels so I'll continue to use the 'Optical Out'

I will plug the roku Ultra into one of the HDMI ports (thank you so much)

Trying to figure out how I can re-assign the CD short cut button on the AVR remote to control a CD Changer (with Optical Output only).

Also trying to figure out how I can re-assign the DVD short cut button on the AVR remote to control a Blu Ray player ...

Thanks again!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
OK.

I got rid of cable myself almost 20 years ago, so I use the internal tuners and an optical cable. Even though my equipment has all been upgraded over the last 2-3 years, I still go that way because universal integrations like ARC tend to be so problematic.

If the CD and Blu-Ray players aren't Yamaha, the remote probably can't control them. I admit, I haven't looked into the details, but it's highly unlikely a Yamaha remote will control other brands of equipment. You might want a universal remote.

ENIGMACODE

Agent
Real Name
Mike Harris
"If the CD and Blu-Ray players aren't Yamaha, the remote probably can't control them"

Correct again JohnRice! - I finally realized that when I couldn't find any codes in the book ... so I just go thru the AVR remote buttons to pull up the CD Player and DVD Player ....

What I also needed to do was route the 'HDMI Out Port' from the AVR back to the Sceptre TV (in another HDMI input port), in order to get 'Picture' for the DVD player. If not, I could only get sound .... *Also, (perhaps because the older Sceptre TV is NOT a SMART TV), I'm required to do 'dual tasks' - Choosing the appropriate buttons on the older Yamaha AVR, for the DVD player (and) in addition pull up the remote options for the Sceptre TV and choose the corresponding HDMI port (again in order to get DVD player video/picture).

If I buy a Smart TV will any of this be eliminated/minimized?

Thank You John ...

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm a little confused. The traditional way to connect things is to connect them all to the receiver, then a single hdmi from the receiver to the TV. When you watch broadcast television, the TV is the video source and audio is passed back to the receiver through the optical cable. For everything else, the source is plugged into the receiver, it plays the audio and passes the video to the TV using the single hdmi cable.

And no, a Smart TV won't simplify playback of CDs or DVDs. "Smart" in a TV really just means it has streaming apps built in, but you already have Roku for that, which is generally a better way to stream. When you get a new TV, do NOT waste money for streaming features. I suggest sticking with a dedicated streaming device like a Roku or AppleTV.

If you want to use a single remote and have one button changes of function. Such as pushing a button to switch to and control your CD player, you need a programmable remote with macros of some kind. Logitech Harmony remotes used to be the go-to for that, but they've abandoned that product line. Right now, solutions for that are a bit foggy. You want programmable so it can control devices from multiple manufacturers, and macros, which is what switches modes and does multiple things with a single button push, such as change the inputs on the receiver and TV. The Harmony 665 was a good, reasonably priced solution, but you'd have to get one used or refurb, and the future of the software could be unreliable.

EDIT: It does appear that Harmony 665s are still available for a reasonable price at some places. My local Best Buy claims to have them in stock for $80.

Last edited:

ENIGMACODE

Agent
Real Name
Mike Harris
Hi again John (thanks for sticking with me on this).

Yes I absolutely agree with you: "stick with a dedicated streaming device like a Roku"

And yes you're correct: "The traditional way to connect things is to connect them all to the receiver, then a single hdmi from the receiver to the TV"

I've tried to follow that configuration but still can't get Video from the DVD player (only sound) until I'm forced to use the TV remote to route the corresponding HDMI port. Unless I'm using the wrong HDMI port on the TV, (when connecting the HDMI cable from the AVR Output back to the TV)?

Mike

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm still confused. When you watch broadcast TV, you need to use the TV's remote to select channels. When you want to watch something that goes through the receiver, such as discs or streaming, you need to select the corresponding input on the receiver and the hdmi input on the TV. That's just how it works. I was getting the impression you had two hdmi cables connected between the receiver and the TV, when you only need one.

ENIGMACODE

Agent
Real Name
Mike Harris
"That's just how it works"

Well that's it John - sorry for the confusion (I was the one who was confused) ...

And again I ask the question; would it matter if I had a 'Smart TV' - probably not - I'd have the same situation regarding the Blu Ray Disc Player .... yes?

I believe there might be one advantage: The roku remote (volume feature) could then function?

"I was getting the impression you had two hdmi cables connected between the receiver and the TV"

No that's not the case ...

Thanks Again JohnRice :cheers:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
CEC is an attempt to integrate equipment from different brands, but I find it's unreliable and can be downright annoying, so I turn it all off by default.

For example, it can be used so when the BluRay player is turned on, the receiver automatically switches to its input and the TV switches to the proper hdmi input. In theory. It is even supposed to allow the TV volume control to adjust the volume of the receiver. Stuff like that just doesn't tend to work the way it's supposed to, though there are people who swear by it.

ENIGMACODE

Agent
Real Name
Mike Harris
Thanx John

Are you suggesting this 'could' be a feature found in a more current 'Smart Style TV' which isn't possible right now with the Non-Smart Sceptre TV I'm using right now?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks