What's new

Receivers and heat-Cooling ideas!! (1 Viewer)

johnADA

Stunt Coordinator
I'm just finishing up on my very first Home Theater setup I've ever had and looking for possible semi cheap ideason cooling. Or even if its really needed.

After finally winning the wife over to the fact one of these systems is ideal I've done the following.

Syntax Kolin 37 inch LCD.
Fed from a Scientific Atlanta HD3250.
Also a Samsung HD-841
Onkyo TR-SX303 pumping its juice to 4 Polk Audio R-15's, one Polk Audio CS-200 center and a Accurian 125 watt sub.

I'M LOVING IT.

But the receiver does run fairly hot while the wife and kids are home and all most untouchable when they are not. Looking for some idea to help run this cooler. Samsung, HD box, receiver and the center all one over the other. Its 3 shelfs and the receiver is on the bottom with a 4 inch gap to the next shelf. The samsung is over it with the HD box on it also with a 4 inch shelf gap.Finally the center is on the upper shelf. All the shelfs are pulled forward leaving a 1+ inch gap on the rear to help allow air flow since the back is covered. I'm thing along the lines of a dual 3 inch fan about total length up to 17 inches mounted ontop of the receiver to pull air around. Idea sound?? Needed or not to worry?? Also havent had any luck finding a semi cheap 120 volt unit like such!!!! Ideas welcome!!!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would just cut vent holes in the back to let the heat escape for starters. If you can just perforate with a few holes or just cut out a spot that should already help. Fans are OK, but you'll also generally hear them running...(most computer stores should carry them) Most likely the reason it is getting hot is because it doesn't quite have enough power for what you are asking of it, even with those speakers (which aren't very power hungry). I would look into stepping up at lest to the 503 or 573, if possible.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
partsexpress.com (and other sites like it) may have fans. I always have a couple of those laying around if I need them. In my basement system I barely use, I have a Marantz 7300 OSE and I built a slot in the wall (backing to the unfinished portion with enough cut out of the back sheet rock to make connections). I have it on the top and it ran hotter than I like and similar to what John suggested I drilled a bunch of holes on top and that solved the problem. Since hot air rises, if making more holes in the back does not due the trick, at points where there is no equipment on the upper shelf (e.g. if the receiver is deeper) you might want a couple of holes as well. I've used fans and do so on my main system and I got the quietest ones I could find and they are audible during quiet passage.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member

So, you need more space for ventilation.

(It's not the worst offender in my collection. That honour goes to the Samsung SIR-T165, which cannot live in a rack. Unfortunately, members of my household, including, alas, myself, have been known to place DVD cases over the ventilation holes.... :sigh: )

johnADA

Stunt Coordinator
I'll have to look at my manual but I thought it said 3 inches. I dont know how many Home Entertainment center not outlandishly large that would fit those needs.
I have 4 inches on top, none on the side, upper shelfs allowing 1+ inch of air movement and the rear holes for power cables etc that are about 3 inches in diameter. I know heat will shorten its life so I thought I'd add a fan unit just over the top of it on the front of the center to draw air from the back where its cooler through the power cable holes over the top and out. Problem is finding such units not cheap, but decently priced. I found a few very nice units that are mere computer fans into sheet metal holders, but there $100+ for $20 in parts. Anyone know of something similar thats cheapish before I cob something together??

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Running hot isn't the worst thing unless the unit is actually shutting down, though cooler is better generally speaking. 4" would seem adequate, but not in a totally enclosed rack. My Marantz 8300 also recommends 8" above, but I only have 3" above - however my rack is open on the front and back and has perforated sheet metal on the sides.

johnADA

Stunt Coordinator
Its totally open on the front, mine is. 1/2 inch on the sides if its lucky and it never has shut down. Just worry I guess!!

johnADA

Stunt Coordinator

I believe thats the same person on ebay that has them for $17 which I was toying around and idea yesterday. Yesterday after some thought and looking at the center I drilled 2 holes on the side rear per suggestions and may just add one of those to pull air from the front over everything and exit the sides. PEACE OF MIND!!!

mylan

Screenwriter
That LapCool 3 seems only to be powered by USB, if it could be powered normally that would be a great solution.

mylan

Screenwriter
Ahh, I get it now, I need to finish reading before I pass judgement. I can't get anything to work in that link though. I'll have to investigate because I need some cooling solutions as well.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
It's a pretty cool power strip with 4 usb ports assuming to power usb devices. $19.99

Yeah the powerbar is also a usb hub....1 input (usb)....4 outputs (usb).

not sure where you would get it in the U.S. though.

thesourcecc.com is like the canadian version of radio shack.....or at least they used to be called radio shack up to 2004 ish? not sure why the name change?

PaulT

Supporting Actor

The name changed because the Canadian arm of Radio Shack (actually InterTAN Canada, who had a licence to the Radio Shack name) was bought by Circuit City (hence the name The Source by Circuit City) and they lost the rights to the Radio Shack name.

You could try CC in the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks