What's new

Yamaha RX-V559 Over heating... How do I connect a fan? (1 Viewer)

Justagirl

Auditioning
Real Name
Fran
Help, I just had a build in enclosed cabinet built. Unfortunately, I didn't consider or even think I would need to have a built in fan to circulate airflow. The cabinet is completely enclosed with doors and one shelf. The receiver sits on the bottom with about 3 inches between it and the bottom shelf. I tried leaving the doors open with the receiver pushed completely to the front and it still over heats and shuts down. I purchased a 115VAC-60Hz cooling fan and hope to place it on top of the receiver to draw the heat out the front with the doors open. Is this a good idea? And, how do I connect the fan to my receiver. The fan has wires... Just a girl who has no idea what she is doing!! HELP.... [ATTACHMENT=160]Rear Panel.png (157k. png file)[/ATTACHMENT] [ATTACHMENT=161]General Power Supply Specs.png (43k. png file)[/ATTACHMENT]:confused:

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What is the model of the Yamaha and what speakers do you have connected to it? Also double check to be sure your wires are in good shape - nothing touching or crimped. I'm wondering if there's something else going on here. While it is not a good idea to put a receiver in an enclosed cabinet, it should be okay with the doors open.

Justagirl

Auditioning
Real Name
Fran
Thank you for helping... The model I have is a RX-V559. I do believe I have a mess of wires touching and tangled back there but all are in good shape. I will tidy it up and see if that works but I'm convinced its over heating even with the doors open. If this is the case do you have any idea how to install the cooling fan? I've attached a picture of the rear panel and spec sheet regarding AC... whatever that means.:confused:

Justagirl

Auditioning
Real Name
Fran
I'm not sure what speakers I have connected to it. It's a complete surround sound room so all of them are built into the walls. I've had this set up for about 3 years without any issues until I decided to have the cabinets made around the tv instead of the open front/back table I was using to house the components. Hope that helps you help me.. thx.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Hello Fran,

The receiver shutting down may very well be caused by a shortcut between some of those wires "touching and tangled". It doesn't necessarily have to be the temperature, although ineed you need to watch that aspect. But I think you really need to check all those wires, like you intended to do!

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks