What's new

Receivers and AC outlets?? (1 Viewer)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Maybe you could get a transformer and hook up a small fridge for the beer in the HT room too? :D
The dread surge can find the back door thru the tv into the system and one is SOOL.
I read this on the Power Systems site when I purchased my Panamax, that is why everything goes through the Max, including my cable - again, even your cable TV line can carry a lightning strike to your gear just as easily as your power wires.

DanielSmi

Second Unit
Ron,
how does this work if you have the receiver plugged into itself?:D JK
Justin,
I have that same TV as you that TV uses 160w of power and draws 1.5 amps at start up and .5-.8 amps for regular use, this is very bad for your receiver. I agree with Will this is worse than plugging a sub into your receiver, I hope this won't effect your receiver down the road.
Daniel Smith

JustinP

Stunt Coordinator
Dan,

I've only had it set up this way for about a week and it's received very minimal use since I'm typically at work/out (cause it's summer) so I'd probably assume (read: hope) that no damange has been done. Anyone have any ideas?

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
how does this work if you have the receiver plugged into itself? JK
My Marantz has two outlets on the back, C'mon Daniel:)
Truth be told, I have my receivers cooling fan plugged into the back of the receiver, that's all.
Peace Out~:D

Will Gatlin Jr

Stunt Coordinator
Bill...
Thanks for the tip. I use seven amps (5 two ch/2 mono blocks) and I also use the HTS-5000 just for them. I also have a Monster Power Bar 2100 that I plug all my source components in. Which one would do the best job for my RPTV? Thanks!!
:emoji_thumbsup:

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Will, wow, that’s a bunch of amps. Are you using the M5000 on a regular house outlet, 15A or 20A. Is this the older or newer 5000 – the older has 2 outlets in front.

Just thinking aloud, I don’t know what effect if any may be plugging higher current amps into the 5000’s banks designed for video and “digital” components in terms of so-called “current-limiting.” It’s all 120V power of course. Probably is just fine without the other source components on this box.

Monster MPB 2100 is a new design and looks quite robust with its 2675 Joule MOV surge blockers; same rating as the bigger 5000. It’s certainly seems designed for tv sets/video:

The MPB-2100 has 3 discrete filter sections: 1 low current audio (4 outlets), one high current audio (2 outlets), and 1 video (6 outlets). This prevents different types of equipment from interfering with each other. The unit uses stage 2 filtering, and does a little better job than the 2000 does.
Source: discountpanamax.com

edit: Anyone else, wud you plug a RPTV in the Monster's "high-current" outlet if you had the opportunity, or rely on the Video outlet?

bill

Will Gatlin Jr

Stunt Coordinator
Bill...

I use 20A circuits. My unit is the HTS-5000, the newer unit is the 5100. I was told that as long as I did not use any of the other outlets I'd be alright. BTW, my Marantz mono blocks are pluged into the Power Bar 2100. Strickly five 2ch amps into the HTS-5000, nothing else. It seems to be doing it's job, no (audible) noise/hum what-so-ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks