What's new

Receivers and AC outlets?? (1 Viewer)

Will Gatlin Jr

Stunt Coordinator
Hello...
I had a lady e-mail me tonight and ask me if she could plug her subwoofer into her Receiver AC outlet? !@#$%^&* NO!!
How many of you folks plug any of your source components into your Receiver's AC outlets? If you do, what components?
If you are using your Receiver (intact) as a pre-pro, does this cause noise in the signal chain?
As much as we talk about noise and hum in our systems, anyone have any problems with this set-up? Thanks!!;)

DanielSmi

Second Unit
Generally your not supposed to plug anything in that uses up more than 100w of power but it varies from receiver to receiver I would never plug in a sub that uses way to much power but a cd player or dvd player would be fine I think my cd player uses like 17w and my dvd is about 50w. With regards to whether or not introduces noise into the signal chain I don't think it would if you had the receiver plugged into a line conditioner but I'm not an expert so I wouldn't know.

Daniel Smith

David Berry

Stunt Coordinator
Will,
So your telling me that I can't have my 2 channel amplifier plugged in the the receiver's AC outlet? Maybe that's why I'm getting that low-level hum.:D
I only have my Sony SACD player hooked up in this fashion because the player's remote does not have an on/off button. It uses 38 watts.
David

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
Sources
no audible noise, I have not done an a/b though. I don't have THAT much time.

-rob

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't like to plug anything into the receiver, regardless of what it's draw is, but that's just me. I DEFINITELY would not plug a sub into it.

I was at my dealer not too long ago picking up my CDP and I mentioned that it has a hard power switch, no remote turn on. He said it would be fine to plug it into the receiver's outlet and leave the CD on all the time so it would be powered on and off when I turn the receiver on. I still don't do this, but I also trust his opinion.

The long and short of it is, your manual will tell you exactly what the outlet is and is NOT capable of.

Tom S

Agent
I had a CD player that had no power-on/power-off remote control. So I plugged that into the back of my receiver. This got annoying because I ended up turning it off during movies because of the display.

Now I have my "mood lighting" connecte to the back. So everytime I power up, the small lights (less than 10W) behind the TV/Entertainment towers light up - really cool.

Tom

I agreed with the low wattage pointed out above and with my TX-DS898 receiver my Onkyo Tape Deck and CD-Player are plugged into mine. Thses components have low wattage and automatically turns on with the receiver.
My Sub is plugged into a AC-Noise-filter(Panamax-500). :emoji_thumbsup:

JustinP

Stunt Coordinator
I've got my Panasonic A105 DVD Player and my 27" Sony WEGA KV27FS12 plugged into the AC outlets of my Yamaha RXV-595 receiver. The consensus seems to be that the DVD player is OK being plugged in, but I'm not sure how much current the TV draws. I have it set up this way for the conveinence of having one sleep timer controlling all my components, but I'll change it if it's problematic.

JustinP

Stunt Coordinator
Hey, don't worry about stepping on toes, I'm going home and plugging the set into my budget monster power strip. Out of curiosity, what's the risk/downside in using the receiver's AC outlet to power a TV? (I'm not doubting that the negative effects exist, I'm just inept as to what they are.)

Will Gatlin Jr

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Monster HTS-5000 and I do't plug my TV into it, I plug my TV straight into the wall AC (20 amp). I have been told to (always) plug the TV striaght into the wall. You'd be surpised at how many people just plug components into the receiver's AC outets without even checking the power consumption.

David...

I wouldn't do it!!

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Justin, yes, go and unplug the tv from your receiver. Many rcvrs offer a max current draw of 80 watts back there.

New RPTVs draw 245-275 watts, A CRT 27-incher wont be as much (?)in power consumption, but it's still up there. Add the 17 watts or so fron your DVDp and I think it pushes the limit.

bill

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you draw more current than the outlet is rated for, you could burn something in the amp (hopefully just a fuse on the outlet).

Yes, the TV most likely draws about as much as an amp does. These are the two most power hungry items in the HT, IMO.

JustinP

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the advice, I'm going home to correct things right after work. Luckily I haven't had that configuratin set up for more than a week, so I doubt I've had time to do damage.

Yogi

Screenwriter
Damn could that explain why my 3802 shrinks in size when I have 2 channel orchestral music playing through my Proceed amp plugged to the back of my 3802:D

JustinP

Stunt Coordinator
Since I now stand corrected, what components generally should be plugged into power strips (in my case, a cheapo Monster AV600) and what should go into the wall?

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Everything into the power strip. See these frying experiences:
HERE
I only see people with high-current outboard power amps -- Anthem, Rotel, Parasound etc. -- of 200WPC debate over direct-to-the-wall or not over perceived issues of "current-limiting." Then you get into 20amp lines or dedicated 15A or 20A considerations, Brickwall surge units and on and on.
So.Cal. has good reputation for power delivery and absence of lightning storm which mandate (IMO) the Brickwall, ZeroSurge, Adcom type Series Mode technology.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Will,

It seems to me if you plug the video display (tv) into the wall, and there are interconnects to the AV system, you might as well not have surge suppression on the rest. The dread surge can find the back door thru the tv into the system and one is SOOL.

edit: Monster HTS5000 is quite cvapable of handling a video display with an overall power rating of 1850 watts.

bill

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I have all 4 Adcom amps, the amp for my sub, dvd player, receiver and TV all plugged into a Monster HTS-2500 which is plugged into the back of my receiver, is this not good?;)
Peace Out~:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks