What's new

Receiver suggestions Yamaha vs Denon (1 Viewer)

Mark JM

Agent
I am in the process of putting together a HT system with a front projector unit. I am looking for receiver options

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I'm pretty happy with my Yamaha RX-V1200 that I purchased a week ago. I also tried out the Denon 2802, but didn't like it as much. This topic was just discussed, so you may want to search this forum, or even just browse the last 10 days topics.

Mark JM

Agent
Don

Thanks for the info, I did do a search on just "denon" and got about 3000 pages worth of info, i will take your suggestion and search just the last 10 days or so.

Thanks

mark

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Mark: Both Dennon and Yamaha have great reputations. You cannot make your choice based on just the Mfg name. You need to drill down to features on the individual models.
Here is some more subtile criteria to help decide:
- Which receiver is heavier? This usually indicates a heavier transformer/capacitor which translates to cooler running/longer life/slightly better sound. Add a point.
- If a receiver has pre-outs for an external amp, add a point.
- Whichever receiver has more SVideo inputs, add a point.
- If the receiver has some Component Video inputs, add a point. Add another point if the literature says they are HD Compatible.
- If the receiver has binding posts for all speakers, add a point.
- Go to Radio Shack and buy one of their dual banana plugs (xxx-308). If the receiver binding posts fit the spacing, add a point.
- Does the receiver have an adjustible crossover for the LFE/Subwoofer output? Add a point.
- Whichever receiver has more coaxial digital or optical inputs, add a point.
- Look at the remote. Whichever one feels better, is programmable, has frequently-used buttons close to your fingers, add a point.
- Does the receiver have a dimmable display? Add a point.
Hope this helps.:)

David John

Stunt Coordinator
I also am very pleased with my Yamaha RX-V1200.

I bought it for the price/features and I also liked it's sound. I use it mainly for HT and it's 5.1 and 6.1 performance has been fantastic.

Denon are also very rock solid, however only you can decide which you like the sound of better.

Go take a listen, either one should give you years of great HT.

Mark JM

Agent
Bob and Dave

Thanks for the input, I have been trying to do what you have suggested Bob just within the Yamaha catalog. Things change so quickly the catalog I have doesnt even have some of the latest versions in it (ie the 1200) so I will be checking out the web site for further information. I have also followed Dons suggestion and have read the post from the past 2 weeks or so and have gotten some great info. Thanks to all for the help...I'm leaning towards the Yamaha, now it's just a matter for wadeing through the different models.

Thanks

Mark

Marty Lockstead

Second Unit
Hi Mark,
Just a quick note, I love my RX-V3200 model Yamaha receiver. I realize it's a little out of your price range but, as mentioned on this thread already, the 1200 or even the 2200 models would be great for what you're planning on using it for. Happy shopping and good luck!:star:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I am running a Yamaha RX-V995 now myself as well. It has been a very good receiver but I am looking to get something better. Something with 6.1 and DVD-A. Yamaha makes a very good product but I think Denon and B&K will be my next choice. Even if Yamaha and Denon area both made by the same parent company Nippon Electric. The Denon AVR-5800 is a very awsum 6.1 receiver I would recomend this unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks