What's new

Receiver & Speakers (1 Viewer)

John*W

Auditioning
Going to be shopping for a home theater setup this fall. Went to a local home theater center and checked out some gear. I listened to a Denon(don't remember which model but pretty much the same features as the NAD)vs. a NAD T752 through Monitor Audio Silver Series S6 speakers. To me the NAD blew away the Denon. What experiences has anyone had with NAD pros and cons of this receiver.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
John, NAD enjoys a well-deserved reputation for excellence — but so does Denon. May I ask in what way the NAD "blew away" the Denon? The speakers are the determining factor in the sound you hear.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Jack,
According to his post he heard them both thru the same set of speakers. I know some folks including yourself don't believe things like receivers sound different but the dacs and what not inside a receiver can affect the way it sounds and indeed that may be what he is hearing. Though if you want to talk about "the sound" it could be a threadfart so we best let that dead horse stay down.

My personal experience with Denon and NAD is that NAD is a very simple design w/o the frills and Denon has a few frills on their units that I could live w/o. Both sound very good but it depends on what you are after. The NAD I heard was very impressive to say the least but when I upgrade next I plan on skipping receivers all together :)

So..
Pros:
Very well built
Very nice sound(I' call it the warm side of neutral for lack of a better term)
Very robust amp. Good for low ohm loads.
All the basics

Cons:
So so remote
Low on frilly features like 5 channel stereo and component video upconversion(which is a good thing to some folks).

John*W

Auditioning
What I thought as "blew away" was that the Denon had a lot of background noise through the speakers whereas the NAD came through nice and clear. Thanks for the info.

Luis M

Second Unit
Jack,
(According to his post he heard them both thru the same set of speakers. I know some folks including yourself don't believe things like receivers sound different but the dacs and what not inside a receiver can affect the way it sounds
and indeed that may be what he is hearing).

Hey, What a relief, I was about to trade my SR8200 Marantz for a $200.00 Kenwood receiver.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I didn't know that Jack said all that by asking for clarification. Hearing a substantial amount of noise coming from the Denon would strike me as something being quite amis and not typical. But if you like the NAD that much then by all means buy it.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
And Chu, again, nails it.

Luis, your Marantz offers a plethora of features and power that would in itself differentiate it from a $200 entry-level unit. And, yes, with that power in mind you would hear a difference in terms of tansient response and ease of handling difficult, demanding signals.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks