What's new

Receiver Set up Question (1 Viewer)

Kevin Inglis

Auditioning
With most receivers being 6.1 or above, can it still be used or set up for a 5.1 speaker system? If so, is this normally a Setup option? or physically hard wire option?

Probably a silly question..but have not had a chance to play with any receivers yet, and making a purchase soon to go alone with Paradigm 70 CT's. Looking into the Onkyo 602 based on recommendations I have read here, but want to make sure I can use the 5.1 set up...

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
No problem with the 5.1 setup.
You'll just not enable the two back speakers, or similar wording. In the receiver's setup menus, there are probably options for single back speaker (6.1), two back speakers (7.1) or none (5.1)
7.1 has rears and backs (or vice versa). Will still use fronts, center, rears and sub.......
With not having the backs enabled, the receiver shouldn't send a signal to those speaker outputs.
I hope I didn't make it confusing. I got a bit long winded.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What Ed said. I have a 6.1/7.1 capable receiver, but I am using it in 5.1 config because I don't have a good spot for a rear center. As long as you tell it you have no back speakers, you will not lose any sound.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
John........
If you have your sofa or chair, up against the wall, you can set a small speaker on the back of it. Doesn't matter if it's close to you, if you calibrate it with the rest of them. If calibrated right, it doesn't matter if it's inches away or feet away. It's worth having one there.........:D :D

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't miss it really, went back to 5.1 when I moved into the new place and had nowhere to put the rear center. No, there is sort of no back wall, just a half wall that is part of the kitchen. I wouldn't put my couch up against a wall anyway because it's not good for music listening, which I do a lot of :). IMO, it still draws too much attention, even when calibrated, when it's that close.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks