Receiver Set up Question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Kevin Inglis, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Kevin Inglis

Kevin Inglis Auditioning

With most receivers being 6.1 or above, can it still be used or set up for a 5.1 speaker system? If so, is this normally a Setup option? or physically hard wire option?

Probably a silly question..but have not had a chance to play with any receivers yet, and making a purchase soon to go alone with Paradigm 70 CT's. Looking into the Onkyo 602 based on recommendations I have read here, but want to make sure I can use the 5.1 set up...

2. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    No problem with the 5.1 setup.
    You'll just not enable the two back speakers, or similar wording. In the receiver's setup menus, there are probably options for single back speaker (6.1), two back speakers (7.1) or none (5.1)
    7.1 has rears and backs (or vice versa). Will still use fronts, center, rears and sub.......
    With not having the backs enabled, the receiver shouldn't send a signal to those speaker outputs.
    I hope I didn't make it confusing. I got a bit long winded.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    What Ed said. I have a 6.1/7.1 capable receiver, but I am using it in 5.1 config because I don't have a good spot for a rear center. As long as you tell it you have no back speakers, you will not lose any sound.

4. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    John........
    If you have your sofa or chair, up against the wall, you can set a small speaker on the back of it. Doesn't matter if it's close to you, if you calibrate it with the rest of them. If calibrated right, it doesn't matter if it's inches away or feet away. It's worth having one there.........[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I don't miss it really, went back to 5.1 when I moved into the new place and had nowhere to put the rear center. No, there is sort of no back wall, just a half wall that is part of the kitchen. I wouldn't put my couch up against a wall anyway because it's not good for music listening, which I do a lot of [​IMG]. IMO, it still draws too much attention, even when calibrated, when it's that close.