What's new

Receiver problem (1 Viewer)

Yogi

Screenwriter
My bedroom receiver Technics SADX930 developed a strange problem last night. When I turned it on there was no sound with the DVD digital optical connection. There is a red indicator that lights up showing DD on the display that doesnt light up anymore. There is no sound in surround modes either DD, DTS or any of the DSP modes. The receiver works only in stereo mode and only with analog inputs. The digital inputs dont work anymore (either optical or coax) Even in the stereo mode the sound seems weak (but clear and well defined). Now to get to the same volume level I have to turn the volume way up. I have tried resetting the receiver, reconnected all the inputs and speaker connections. Also another strange thing is that I can play the DVD or VCR and get sound in stereo in all inputs. For example the DVD player is connected to the CD input (via analog) but it will play with any input. I switch the receiver to VCR or TV/DSS and the DVD will still keep playing through the speakers. Even when I switch to the tuner the DVD play thru the speakers along with the tuner:frowning:.

I am at a loss for what is going on. I have a feeling that the receiver is fried. I opened it up and didnt find any burned components. No other burn smell or anything. I dont know what went wrong. Have any of you guys experienced anything like this. I think I have tried every thing, but if any of you think I have missed something please tell me and I'll try it out. I really dont want to start looking for another receiver as I have spent all my money on the amp upgrades for my main HT. So if nothing works out then I'll be theaterless in the bedroom:frowning: for a while. Unless I can find a Marantz/HK/or Denon receiver for less than $300, to replace the one I have lost.

MichaelTa

Agent
Sounds like you might be suffering from the blown fuse problem that has been seen on the model many times by others. I own one of these as well and my unit spent a couple of months out of the first six months I owned it in the shop but has been problem free for two and a half years now. This unit now is in my bedroom as it was replaced by a Yamaha RX-V1300. Do a search at Audio Review on this unit as well it will also tell you aow to fix and what to look for.
--------------------------------------------------------

Unplug and open unit cover by removing six screws. Locate blown 1A fuse, one of three fuses hanging from circuit board on transformer. Replace with 1.6A fuse. Replace unit cover.

--------------------------------------------------------
http://www.audioreview.com/A-V+Recei...3_2718crx.aspx

Yogi

Screenwriter
Thanks Mike, from reading thru the audioreview site it does seem like the blown fuse is my problem. I cant wait to go home and try this out. The receiver has worked like a champ for the past 4 years or so giving me clean sweet sound and suddenly last night it crapped out on me. I hope this is the problem with my unit. Thanks again for the link. I owe you one.

Yogi

Screenwriter
Swapped out the blown power supply fuse with the 1.6 amp fuse and the thing works like a champ again. No bleedthru, clean powerful sound, superb surround and everything else like it was before the blown fuse. Thanks again Mike for forwarding me that link.

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
Interesting that a blown fuse would produce those symptoms.
Weird.

Glad to hear all systems are go.

-rob

MichaelTa

Agent
Good to hear that it was only the blown fuse. Thing is I never had that one happen to me. The 2 times my unit was in for repair they had to replace 2 different ic boards. I always liked the 930 and only reason I upgraded my main system was because of 6.1 inputs for dvd-a/sacd.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks