What's new

Receiver and DVD for $300 or less? (1 Viewer)

Jake T

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
The wife and I decided to get a DVD player for the upstairs family room because the cd player finally had it(theater is in basement). Figured me might as well get a DVD since it also plays CD's. Then we figured we might as well get a new HT receiver to go with it and dump the old Kenwood setup.
Anyhow, does anyone what I can get (DVD player and HT receiver) for around $300? I also would like the DVD player to be able to handle MP3's.
Thanks In Advance,
Jake T

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Jake,
$300 is a pretty small amount to do both, unless you don't mind buying used equipment.
That said, I would look at the HTF classifieds and on ebay.
There are several DVD players at or around a hundred bucks at Costco and Wal-mart. They won't have progressive scan capability at that price point, but they will play both DVDs and CDs. MP3 capability is relatively new for the DVD players, but most coming out can handle it.
If that leaves us about $200 for a receiver, I would look at the pieces from Kenwood...traditionally good bang for the buck. At Costco, you may even be able to pick up just the receiver for 2-250.
Maybe others can add some ideas. You may want to start with the receiver, get a little more initially, and down the road add a DVD player.
Jeremy

Carol Curtis

Stunt Coordinator
I would think you would be hard pressed to find a DVD player & a receiver for $300 that were any good unless you were willing to buy used or refurbished ones. If your thinking of using the DVD player also as a CD player I would take a look at the Panasonic 51 a 5 disc DVD player that will play all formats but figure at the cheapest around $200 & that would only leave you $100 for a receiver & most receivers that are any good are going to cost you at least $300. I would decide on buying one or the other but not both or wait & save up some more money. Remember these are things that you will probably have for awhile & in the end you will be kicking yourself that you din't saveup some extra money.

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
Toshiba makes very good low ends players that have the quality of high end interlaced decks, which can be found for under $200. Players that cost less than that, well... If you want a heavy paper weight, there ya go.
http://www.pricegrabber.com
And whatever you do, PAY ATTENTION TO THE MERCHANT RATING! If it is below 3 stars, don't even think about it.
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman
[Edited last by Matt_Stevens on August 06, 2001 at 06:40 PM]

Carol Curtis

Stunt Coordinator
$600 NOW YOUR TALKING! I would get the Onkyo TX-DS595 Receiver & the Panasonic CV51 5 Disc dvd player. I understand that www.jandr.com has been selling the Onkyo for $350 if you call them & maybe someone else on the forum can tell you where & how much they got their Panasonic's for. If you don't get too many replies on this you might want to start a new one with the new $600 question.

JohnRyan

Stunt Coordinator
I was able to purchase the Kenwood HTB-504, includes VR-507 (DPLII, DTS, etc.), and the Panasonic DVD CV51 changer for a little over $600.
------------------
"I've got to get me one of them DVD rewinders!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks