receiver @ 8 ohm w/ power amp running at 4 ohm??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Antlue, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Antlue

Antlue Auditioning

I have a Yamaha RXv-3000 - running at 8 ohms right now. Will be getting Martin Logans for front L&R which requires amplification @ 4 ohms. although the Yamaha has a switch selector for both 4 & 8 ohm loads - I am not comfortable running the Yamaha at 4 ohms (I have 8 ohm B&W rear surrounds and rear centre) - I hear the current draw from the larger ML's might be too much for a receiver. So does anyone out there have a similar setup where you are using a receiver @ 8 ohms and an outboard power amplifier from the mains preout running @ 4 ohms (if that is possible). Some body help!!!!!! Is there a problem with this setup??
    thanks. [​IMG]

2. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Lots of people here do exactly that. If you set the receiver to 4 ohms, you will get less power from it, but you will prevent clipping and blowing your amp so your thinking is about right. All you need is a robust stereo amp. Regardless of current, even if your speakers were 8 ohms, you'll get improveed sound quality at least somewhat above the receivers amp sound quality.

Sure, get an outboard 4 ohm capable stereo amp that has at least the watts per channel of the Yamaha 3000. Say a 100 to 150 watts per channel into 8 ohms amp that handles 4 ohms.

3. jason celaya

jason celaya Stunt Coordinator

I do the exact same thing, i have a denon 3802 w/ a 2 ch denon 5200. all three of my fronts are 4 ohm M&K, It works great , however I do wish I bought a three channel amp in the front just for piece of mind.

4. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

If you are saying you will not be using the front amp channels of the Yamaha to actually drive speakers, but just using the mains pre-outs, I would leave the switch at 8 ohms so their is ample juice for the speakers that are being driven by the Yamaha. The pre-outs will be the same whether you have the switch at 8 or 4 ohms. I am using a somewhat similar arrangement with my receiver only driving the center and perhaps the surrounds. My mains are connected to a 450 watt per channel amp. I have always left the 8-4 ohm switch in the 8 ohm position. Why cripple the receiver if it is well ventilated and doesn't get real hot?

The Martin-Logan 'stats can be a difficult load. You will want an amp that is very stable into 4 ohm loads with at least 150 watts per side.

Artie

5. MichaelGomez

MichaelGomez Stunt Coordinator

6. Pete Gia

Pete Gia Stunt Coordinator

I agree with most of the other posters. Leave the switch at 8 ohms if you`re going to use an outboard power amp for your 4-ohm speakers;and I respectfully submit that there is NO WAY the cheesy amps that are most receivers will double their power into 4 ohms.-----Pete

7. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    If you are using an external amp, the ohm switch on the Yamaha means nothing. I would suggest using seperat amplification for the ML's anyway. The ohm switch has nothing to do with the pre-out's on the receiver, only the power amp section(actual speaker driving section of the receiver).

8. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Michael,

9. MichaelGomez

MichaelGomez Stunt Coordinator

Pete-here is how it works. Notice I said "almost double your power." In a hypothetical situation, it would double. It is Ohms law.