What's new

Rebuilding Polk LC80i crossover; HELP (1 Viewer)

I'm in the process of rebuilding the crossovers for some Polk LC80is; I purchased them damaged and got a hell of a deal. My plan is to forgo mounting them in the wall or ceiling and make custom cabinets for them (two LC80is per each front speaker, L & R). My question is about wiring them together. It seems pointless and redundant to run a crossover for each speaker in the cabinet so I my intention is to rebuild one crossover network per cabinet and wire both LC80is to it in series (woofer-woofer and tweeter-tweeter). If I'm correct in my thinking this will also make the speaker 8 ohms (each LC80i is rated at 4 ohms nominal), right? Could anyone let me know what they think and point out any errors.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Lucas Evans

I'm in the process of rebuilding the crossovers for some Polk LC80is; I purchased them damaged and got a hell of a deal.
Where the crossover's damaged? Other than leaking capacitors, I don't know of anything in a crossover that will fail.
Originally Posted by Lucas Evans

My plan is to forgo mounting them in the wall or ceiling and make custom cabinets for them (two LC80is per each front speaker, L & R). My question is about wiring them together. It seems pointless and redundant to run a crossover for each speaker in the cabinet so I my intention is to rebuild one crossover network per cabinet and wire both LC80is to it in series (woofer-woofer and tweeter-tweeter). If I'm correct in my thinking this will also make the speaker 8 ohms (each LC80i is rated at 4 ohms nominal), right? Could anyone let me know what they think and point out any errors.
How are you determining the cabinet size? Do you have the Theile/Small parameters of the woofer portion of the speaker? Yes it seems redundant to have dual crossovers but how are you going to design the crossover for dual speakers? The interaction between drivers will need to be accounted for. If you wire each speaker/crossover combo in series it will also give you a final 8 ohm load. One thing you didn't think about was the point source of the sound for dual tweeters. Do you see any current speakers with dual tweeters? No you don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks