What's new

Crossover frequency for full range + tweeter (1 Viewer)

Where should I set the crossover frequency for the speaker selections in the OP

• 6,000 Hz

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 8,000 Hz

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10,000 Hz

• 12,000 Hz

• 14,000 Hz

• 16,000 Hz

• 18,000 Hz

• Total voters

pipes

Auditioning
Real Name
Klaus
I'm building a set of five speaker cabinets each with a full range driver and a tweeter. Drivers are a GRS 8FR-8 full-range 8" speaker, 8 ohms, 39 to 16,000 Hz and a Goldwood GT-302/S 1/2" Mylar Dome Tweeter, 8 ohms, 4,000 to 19,000 Hz. A separate sub woofer will handle that end of the spectrum.

I don't know where to set the crossover frequency. My current circuit is a 2nd order LR with the crossover set around 12,000 Hz but I find recommendations ranging from 5k to 16k. If it matters the usage will be almost constant, low volume music and once in a while an action/thriller type of movie with lots of commotion.

I realize these specs/parts won't stun anyone. This is more of a learning exercise for me, but I'd like to make the most of what I have here. If it comes out well I will eventually repeat the project with higher end parts.

So my question. Just for fun I put a poll up, 6k to 18k

Where should I set the crossover frequency (and why, if you don't mind...)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
12 KHz is bordering on the realm of real-world hearing, so I speculate that's a bit high. Hopefully you can experiment with different settings, but I don't know what the crossover setup is. I can only speculate based on the info, but I'd try 6 or 8KHz.

pipes

Auditioning
Real Name
Klaus
12 KHz is bordering on the realm of real-world hearing, so I speculate that's a bit high. Hopefully you can experiment with different settings, but I don't know what the crossover setup is. I can only speculate based on the info, but I'd try 6 or 8KHz.

Thank you. That helps.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I don't know a thing about building speakers (but I voted, cause I love polls!); so I looked on my favorite speaker site (Axiom) to see what their crossover was at on 2-speaker setups and it was down at 2-3k. So I voted 6k.

pipes

Auditioning
Real Name
Klaus
It's a bit surprising to find the cost of these of these components so high! I'm used to prices like $10 for a bag of 1000 capacitors LOL

So about two votes for 6k. I think that's the answer then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FredMediaSSI
Recent bookmarks