What's new

Crossover frequency for full range + tweeter (1 Viewer)

Where should I set the crossover frequency for the speaker selections in the OP

• 6,000 Hz

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 8,000 Hz

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10,000 Hz

• 12,000 Hz

• 14,000 Hz

• 16,000 Hz

• 18,000 Hz

• Total voters

pipes

Auditioning
Real Name
Klaus
I'm building a set of five speaker cabinets each with a full range driver and a tweeter. Drivers are a GRS 8FR-8 full-range 8" speaker, 8 ohms, 39 to 16,000 Hz and a Goldwood GT-302/S 1/2" Mylar Dome Tweeter, 8 ohms, 4,000 to 19,000 Hz. A separate sub woofer will handle that end of the spectrum.

I don't know where to set the crossover frequency. My current circuit is a 2nd order LR with the crossover set around 12,000 Hz but I find recommendations ranging from 5k to 16k. If it matters the usage will be almost constant, low volume music and once in a while an action/thriller type of movie with lots of commotion.

I realize these specs/parts won't stun anyone. This is more of a learning exercise for me, but I'd like to make the most of what I have here. If it comes out well I will eventually repeat the project with higher end parts.

So my question. Just for fun I put a poll up, 6k to 18k

Where should I set the crossover frequency (and why, if you don't mind...)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
12 KHz is bordering on the realm of real-world hearing, so I speculate that's a bit high. Hopefully you can experiment with different settings, but I don't know what the crossover setup is. I can only speculate based on the info, but I'd try 6 or 8KHz.

pipes

Auditioning
Real Name
Klaus
12 KHz is bordering on the realm of real-world hearing, so I speculate that's a bit high. Hopefully you can experiment with different settings, but I don't know what the crossover setup is. I can only speculate based on the info, but I'd try 6 or 8KHz.

Thank you. That helps.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I don't know a thing about building speakers (but I voted, cause I love polls!); so I looked on my favorite speaker site (Axiom) to see what their crossover was at on 2-speaker setups and it was down at 2-3k. So I voted 6k.

pipes

Auditioning
Real Name
Klaus
It's a bit surprising to find the cost of these of these components so high! I'm used to prices like $10 for a bag of 1000 capacitors LOL

So about two votes for 6k. I think that's the answer then.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Azy
Recent bookmarks