What's new

Rear Speaker Choice - Paradigm... (1 Viewer)

clund

Auditioning
Real Name
Corey
Hello Everyone... This is my first post. I am in the market for some Surround speakers. I currently have a Set of Paradigm Studio 40's and a matching Center Channel. They are old - but they are not going anywhere. GREAT SPEAKERS!!! I need to find some rear/surround speakers to match and have looked at the new and used speakers and this is what I am thinking. I have found some used Paradigm ADP-170, and ADP-350 that are right around $200-$300... Which I like the price... the new model ADP-390 go for about $500.

I like the idea of the Dipole speakers, but not sure if they will work in my situation.

I have a LARGE living room (where the speakers are going) and the room setup is not very good for rearranging. So I am stuck with this setup. I have no real side walls - Side walls are the back wall of the living room (3 Door sliding glass to back porch - and the other is the dining room from door area. So my surround speakers are going to have to be on the Back Wall, Directly above the listening position. The ceilings are vaulted.. and VERY HIGH - maybe 15 - 18 feet. So mounting in the ceiling might work, but I am thinking the best idea is to mount on the back wall.

Will these Dipole Paradigm speakers work okay mounted on the back wall? Or do I need to go a different direction? Maybe Wall mounted or ceiling mounted monopole?

Thanks for any advice!!!!!

Corey.

clund

Auditioning
Real Name
Corey
A few corrections -- sorry

The dining room "front" door area (not from)

And I think ceiling mounts might be an option but there is already 2 speaker wall mount connectors setup about 10 feet up in a recessed area of the wall near the ceiling. So I would like to use those, and would prefer not to move them or have to move the wire and put blanks in their place.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Hey Corey, welcome to the HTF!

I don't think dipoles are going to work well in your situation. Dipoles are recommended to be placed at the sides of and slightly above the listening position. I have the ADP-170s in my HT, but they are on the sides of the listening area, slightly behind the seats and mounted 6' up.

To go on the back wall, you're going to want a monopole speaker. I used to use Paradigm Titans and Atoms for monopoles when I had a different setup with the surrounds directly behind the seats.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks