What's new

Rear centre selection in 6.1 system. (1 Viewer)

CalvinClem

Auditioning
Which is better? Direct radiating or dipole speakers for rear centre in 6.1 system? (My side surrounds will be dipole)

STLMIKE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I would go w/direct unless there would be a chance that you'd use these speakers for a 7.1 application in the future (having 2 sets of dipoles, one as side surrounds and one as back surrounds).

Cost would also be a factor for me, aren't usually directs less expensive than a comparable dipole?

CalvinClem

Auditioning
room is not that large (16ft X 11 ft) so I figured I would not see an appreciable difference between 6.1 and 7.1

Bret Pritchett

Stunt Coordinator
I've heard the term "dipole" before. Could someone explain what it is? Is it like the Ominpolar speakers Mirage makes?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

Dipoles/bipoles have speaker drivers opposed, i.e. on opposite sides of the cabinet. Dipoles, the drivers operate out of phase. You'd mount them towards the side of the listening position (for sorround use), with the drivers pointing towards the front and rear, with the null (where the out of phase drivers are canceling each other out) pointed at the listening position. This creates a VERY diffuse surround, as almost all the sound is being bounced off objects in the room, and makes for a very diffuse, hard-to localize ambiance surround.

Bipoles have the drivers operating in phase.

There are also some others that, for instance paradigms ADPs, are partly bipolar, partly dipolar. They are dipolar except for low bass frequencies, in which case they are bipolar, so that all the bass doesn't get canceled out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks