What's new

Bryston SP-1.7 - The one to beat in the $4k range? (1 Viewer)

GordonL

Supporting Actor
Cut and pasted from their flyer. The SP-1.7 is supposed to start shipping this month. Since this hasn't even been posted on their site yet, I would expect the specs are still subject to change. Most of the specs are carried over from the SP-1 though. I've highlighted the changes that I could identify. Enjoy.
Update: Information on the SP-1 to SP-1.7 upgrade has been posted on their site.
Update: The SP-1.7 is THX Ultra2 certified. It appears the flier was incorrect.
Update: Looks like I got fed incorrect information. The SP-1.7 is only THX Ultra and will not be Ultra2 certified. Sorry about the mix-up.
• Processes Dolby, DTS, THX, and PCM formats: Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic and Pro Logic II, DTS-ES Discrete 6.1, DTS-ES Matrix 6.1, DTS Neo:6, THX Surround EX, THX Ultra certified, PCM 32kHz, 44kHz, 48kHz, 96kHz sample rates.
• Easy to use — automatically detects input signal bitstream type and adjusts mode; LCD display shows decoding and signal information.
• 6.1 channel and 7.1 channel outputs for EX and ES modes.
• 5.1 analog direct input.
• Easy to set-up — LCD window provides built-in menus for speaker setup, and trim and delay adjustments, and displays alert messages.
• Hand-held, back-lit, 30-button, infrared remote control included.
• Balanced (XLR) outputs for 5.1 channels.
• Allows selection from up to 11 source components.
• Input formats: 4 inputs which may be toggled to either digital or stereo analog sources, 1 discrete analog 5.1 input set, 2 dedicated analog stereo inputs.
• Digital Inputs: 4 coaxial inputs, 2 TOSLINK assignable on Consumer Model, or 1 assignable to AES/EBU on Pro Model.
• Music DSP modes: Natural, Club, Stadium, Hall, Theatre, Church. Party mode (5-channel summed mono distribution for even room-coverage) and 5-channel Stereo option (stereo fed to front & rear).
• DSP circuitry can be bypassed and unit operates in pure analog as stereo audiophile pre-amp.
• Dynamic-limiting for late-night enjoyment of Dolby Digital, DTS.
• Mono and stereo down-mixing option for all modes.
• Digital bass-management modes for all speaker setups.
• Digital toggle button switches easily between digital and analog.
• Stereo and Mono downmixing options for all surround modes.
• Bass redirection modes for any speaker setup.
• “Smart” subwoofer output provides summed signal in stereo bypass mode.
• All analog gain blocks are fully discrete.
• Two separate independent linear power supplies isolate analog and digital circuitry preventing crosstalk or interference.
• Crystal Semiconductor 24-bit, 192kHz D/A Converter.
• Motorola DSP engine.
• Standby Power Mode allows remote power up.
• Built in test-signal generator and test sequencer for easy set-up.
• Each input can have preferred mode saved.
• Individually adjustable trims and delays for each channel.
• Saves all settings on Power Down.
• Integrates with external control systems (AMX, Crestron, and others).
• Control port for external video switchers including the Bryston SPV-1.
• Two 12-volt trigger outputs allow for remote on/off of your amplifier(s) and other home theater accessories such as motorized screens and drapes.
• Easy software upgrade via ROM change.
• Pin-to-pin compatible digital board allows easy hardware upgrades for future formats or digital processing technologies.
• DACs can run up to 192kHz sample rates for future upgrades
• Hand selected and matched transistors.
• Premium components, such as 1% metal-film resistors, polystyrene capacitors, glass-epoxy circuit boards, toroidal power transformers, and gold-plated RCA/XLR connectors.
• Hand assembly.
• Extensive 100-hour test and “burn-in” procedure on every unit.
• Rugged reliable construction.
• 20-Year unlimited transferrable warranty.
Specifications:
Source Selection: Accomodates 11 sources, up to 4 of which may be digital inputs
Digital Inputs: 4 coaxial S/PDIF (RCA), 2 Optical S/PDIF (TOSLINK)
Digital Inputs (Pro model) 1 AES/EBU, 4 coaxial S/PDIF (RCA)
Stereo Analog Inputs: 6 stereo pairs (RCA)
Discrete 5.1 Analog Inputs: Unbalanced (RCA) for Left, Centre, Right, Right Sur-round, Left Surround, and Subwoofer
Main Audio Outputs: Unbalanced (RCA) and balanced (XLR) for Left, Centre, Right, Right Surround, Left Surround, and Subwoofer
Additional Outputs for ES/EX 7.1: Left Rear, Right Rear (RCA)
Audio Record Outputs: 2 stereo (RCA) pairs from any analog input
Frequency Response: 20Hz to 20kHz +/-0.25 dB
THD & Noise (20Hz to 20kHz at 3V output level): Less than 0.006% in all modes; below 0.0025% in Bypass mode.
Signal-to-Noise Ratio: Not less than 100dB in all modes; 110dB in Analogue
Bypass Mode (Ref. 1V input, maximum gain, 22kHz bandwidth).
Input Level: maximum 2 Vrms in DSP modes, 4 Vrms in Bypass Mode
Output Level: 8 Vrms (16 Vrms Balanced) in DSP Modes; 10 Vrms (20 Vrms Balanced) in Bypass Mode
Output Impedance: 110 Ohms D/A, A/D Conversion: Crystal Semiconductor 24-Bit Delta-Sigma
Bass Management: 2nd Order high-pass filter (x5), 4th Order low-pass filter; Crossover Frequencies 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 110, or 120 Hz
Display: Two-line, 16-alphanumeric characters per line, black-on-green
Trigger Outputs: One 12V on/off trigger; one 12V programmable
Power Requirements: 100VAC, 115VAC, and 230VAC models
Remote Functions: Power, master volume, source switching, mode switching, mute, and trims (in test mode)
Control Port: RS-232 (bidirectional, D9 con-nector) port for integration of external control systems (AMX, Crestron, and others using character-based protocols), and for
control of external video switchers
Aux. Infrared Receiver Input: Mini-phone jack
XLR configuration: Pin 1 ground, pin 2 positive, pin 3 negative
Front Panel: Silver or Black; 17”-wide for shelf mounting or 19” rack panel (2 RU, 3.5”/8.9cm. high)
Weight: Approx. 22 lbs (10 kg)
Dimensions (including rubber feet): Shelfmount 17” x 13.5” x 3.8”, 43.2cm. x 34.3cm. x 9.7cm.; Rackmount 19” x 13.5” x 3.8”, 48.3cm. x 34.3cm. x 9.7cm.

Dzung Pham

Second Unit
The thing I like best about the Bryston is that it doesn't have internal video switching. I never use the video switching on pre/pros since my displays are all vga based. Unfortunately, I don't see a 5.1 to 6/7.1 dsp mode (like CES on the Outlaw or XS on the Rotel 1066), which I think is a nice feature to have.

GordonL

Supporting Actor
Actually it does. I just found out that it will be THX Ultra2 certified, which means it will process 5.1 material into 6/7.1.

Dzung Pham

Second Unit
This is one of the issues that confuses me about pre/pros. Does THX Ultra2 mean that it can properly derive 6/7.1 even if the material is not encoded for 6/7.1? In other words, if the source is not DTS-ES or DD-EX, will THX Ultra 2 derive the rear channels without collapsing them into the rear?

GordonL

Supporting Actor
From the THX press release:

THX Ultra2 uses seven channels of amplification to play back any multi-channel-encoded program through a single fixed seven-speaker/one subwoofer layout. In the new THX Ultra 2 Cinema mode or THX MusicMode, all program material with 5.1 channels or more is auto-detected and proprietary processing is applied that blends the directional and ambient surround information prior to replay through four surround speakers — two at the side and two at the back.
Whether it can do it properly or not remains to be seen. I haven't read any reviews on any THX Ultra2 equipment yet. I guess the people who have the new Pioneer THX Ultra2 receivers can tell us.

GordonL

Supporting Actor
I found this in a thread at avsforum:

Here is what THX prints about ULTRA2:

"Since their introduction in 1999, Dolby Surround EX in the cinema and THX Surround EX in home theater equipment, continue to have increased acceptance. Many consumers with THX Surround EX products preferred to use Surround EX mode all the time even for non-EX encoded material. This was just as well for many of the DVD's with Surround EX encoded soundtracks often omitted to mention it on the packaging, or include the flag for auto-detection of the format. In most cases 5.1 soundtracks sounded better, but for 5.1 material containing a monaural surround channel it did not. This was because monaural surround when replayed in Surround EX mode, caused all the surround information to be sent to the single rear channel, and none to the sides.

THX Ultra2 overcomes this limitation by including THX Ultra2 Cinema mode. In THX Ultra2 Cinema mode the Surround EX flag (if present) is auto detected. For Surround EX with no flag and all other non-EX program, special processing is applied to the surround tracks such that ambient informantion is reproduced by the left and right dipole sruuounds, and directional cues are provided by two centrally placed back surrounds. For monaural surround tracks the signal is fed both directly to the back surrond and after decorrelation to the left and righ surround speakers.

This optimum blend of ambient and rear directional information provides an enhanced surround experience over a wider listening area for all multi-channel formats. With stereo surround tracks and multi-channel music, the signal is fed unprocessed to the left and right surrounds and, after further processeing, to the surround back speakers. This processing uses THX ASA (Advanced Speaker Array) Technology and provides an enveloping rear surround field over a wide listening area."

Dzung Pham

Second Unit
Thanks Gordon, the Bryston is definitely looking good! Where did you hear about the Ultra2 certification? I don't see it mentioned on the website.

GordonL

Supporting Actor
I asked James Tanner, one of Bryston's VPs. He's pretty good about answering questions.

RichardMA

Second Unit
All matrix decoding methods can be effected by a

"collapsing rear surround" problem. Apparently, Dolby EX and DTS ES are more susceptable to this than some of the

other proprietary decoding methods out there like

Circle Surround and Lexicon's Logic 7. I've heard collapsing with Circle Surround myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks