What's new

Rear center (1 Viewer)

Brad A

Agent
This may be a stupid question..but I'm curious...What comes out of a REAR center channel?? My Receiver supports it but I have no clue what it's for

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Some soundtracks are mixed with a soundtrack that can take advantage of the rear centre. Basically, it is a prologic matrix of the surround left and surround right channels, in much the same way that the centre channel was a matrix of the left and right channels in the old dolby prologic scheme. You will hear info that is meant for the back channel like various sound effects.

Gary Mui

Agent
And with DTS-ES, there's also Discrete 6.1 encoding, where there's actually a seperate 6th channel devoted to the center-rear speaker (not matrixed).

Brad A

Agent
Ok thanks...I have a couple more questions..
Is it worth getting a REAR center?? Would you have any suggestions on where to place one if my couch is right against the wall? Can it go on the wall parallel to my rears??? Facing the ground? or sitting straight?

Brad A

Agent
Thanks...Any further suggestions on rear center channel placement would be appreciated.

BrentPollard

Second Unit
If your sofa is right against the wall you may want to stick with 5 speakers, although some people here have had good results mounting a rear centre up near the ceiling directly above the listening position.

Brad A

Agent
Thanks....IF I did want to try the center rear like you suggested...Would I aim it down towards me?? or aim it forward??

BrentPollard

Second Unit
Probably split the difference and experiment form there, it's gonna depend somewhat on what speaker you get. This is where a dipole may work well. But that is pure speculation on my part. I have just added a 6th speaker myself and am just getting a feel for how it sounds. It's not like moving from prologic to DD but there is an added sense of depth. I am fortunate in that I have a large room to work with and have set up my speakers to all be equidistant from the viewing area. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks