What's new

RCA Splitters (1 Viewer)

Is there any loss of quality if I install RCA splitters on to my component out from my AV amp? I'm restricted by the one output, but have two display devices (TV and Projector). Currently I have been swapping them manually but this has become very boring, and I can't seem to find an AV switcher with two outputs.

Help please,

:confused:

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
you're not supposed to passively split a video signal to 2 simultaneous sources, but if you're only running one or the other (the projector or the TV) at a time, it may be different. try it and see.

ScottCHI

They wouldn't be running at the same time. What I'm concerned about is a loss in picture quality? Do you think this may occur?

Thanks

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
certainly the quality of the signal will be degraded relative to a "straight" run without a splitter. how much, though, i don't really know.

the important question would be whether it's discernable to you or not.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
You should use a switch box rather than a Y-connecter. You can have picture quality loss with a Y-connector even when the unused device is turned off. Among other things, when devices are connected to both legs of the Y-connector, the required 75 ohm impedance may not be maintained.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Chris: You can go to Radio Shack and buy one of their L/R/Video mechanical switch box's for about $40. Wire it backwards to toggle between 2 destinations for 1 source.

And you dont want to use simple "Y" splitters. It can mess up the impedence which can cause reflections which result in a loss of focus/sharpness or even ghosting.

Thanks everybody.

I never thought of backward wiring a splitter box. Sounds very possible though. I'll give it a go.

Ta,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks