RCA offering a 61" HDTV with built-in HDTV tuner!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GarryW, May 11, 2001.

1. GarryW

GarryW Stunt Coordinator

I see that some manufacturers are trying to get us interested in HDTV! Last Sunday the ad for local Best Buys in Chicago had an ad for this set with a price of $3,499.00
    When do think other manufacturers will follow suit? I'm sure it's quite a stumbling block for most of us when you are used to getting a tuner built in, especially for this very slow moving technology.
    I heard the Mits 2001 sets will have built n HDTV tuners.

2. Bruce McGowan

Bruce McGowan Auditioning

The next generation Sony HDTVs are supposed to have two ATSC tuners built in. I don't know what their price is going to be, but Sony usually charges considerably more than other mfrs for the same product.
    A friend of mine just purchased the RCA w/built in HDTV receiver and he's not happy with it at all. He told me it constantly has artifacts, etc, but he's only had it for a week and there could possibly be a problem with his set. He has arranged for RCA to come out to check it.
    (IMHO) I'd carefully check out the RCA at a store that has it hooked up on DirecTV before suggesting you purchase one.
    ------------------

3. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

I'm not a believer in built-in tuners. Right now, there are just too many variables. Copy-protection, firewire issues and the fact that there is still no must-carry order for cable providers makes built-in tuners a risk not worth taking. Better to get a HDTV ready moniter and add on an external tuner.
    Bruce
    ------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." M. Gandhi