What's new

RCA-HDV5000 player! (1 Viewer)

Steve Blair

Second Unit
hey Ron. Batman Begins per a thread at avs is mostly likely on 7/11 along with dukes of hazzard, enter the dragon, pitch black unrated and a few others. I've had the the toshiba since launch day and it's been nothing but great! Go get a player, you know you want to ;) I'm returning my BD player tomorrow and am more than happy to stick with hd dvd for now. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Oh, and if you want a reference disc to buy with the player? Get U-571 or Chronicles of Riddick.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

Actually, he could take advantage of Dolby Digital Plus if he has a receiver with multi-channel inputs.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Yes, he could ... that would be a bonus still. :) Even more reason to not hesitate. :D

Regards

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

Edwin,

You'll probably appreciate the HD DVD video quality even more when you hook it up and calibrate it on your own display (at least that was the case with me).

As I mentioned in another thread, I bought one of the very first Toshiba HD-A1 models and returned it because of freezing issues (before the firmware came out). I've thought about re-purchasing it again.....but part of me keeps saying to wait until 2G and see how this war plays out into next year.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Mr. TLV,

You had to open your mouth!

Look....I'm close. Just have to check on a few
other things. No promises, but I'm closer than before.

TOSH or RCA? Which has fewer bugs and/or better reviews?

If they are the same player I suppose one doesn't matter
over the other, eh?

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
One has square buttons, one has round buttons.

That's the only difference I've heard of.

Steve Blair

Second Unit
Yeah, the same player. I have the toshiba HD-D1 which is only at walmart and is all black. They're all pretty much the same though.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

You are welcome Ron. :D

I haven't seen the RCA, but apparently the remote control on that unit is less clunky than the Toshiba one.

I do hear that RCA has a terrible track record for reliability so watch out. :) he he he ... they also use dogs in the assembly process.

Regards

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Ron,
The RCA and the Toshiba are the exact same machine, built in Japan by Toshiba. Cosmetic differences only. I've seen demo units at a couple of stores connected to flat panels and a big Panny lcd based rptv via hdmi, and frankly think the image via component on my Sony crt based rptv (about the same vintage and same 57" screen size as your Toshiba) looks better--more film like with better black levels.

We have the advantage in this scenario as we have analog display devices with native 1080i scanrates, exactly what the Tosh players provide over component outputs. They will not upconvert SD dvds over component, but the 480p output is very nice, and the player will automatically switch output scanrates between SD and HD-DVD discs.

My set is staying until it blows up or deteriorates badly, which it's shown no sign of doing yet, so I just didn't feel like waiting until I got a new set to jump in.

Buy one, already, along with a copy of Training Day or U-571 and prepare to be impressed.

For me the killer will be a tossup between Batman Begins or King Kong, but many currently available titles are true eye candy.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
This thread is entertaining for me as I too want to join in and get a hd-dvd player as well but some of the same obstacles were holding me back as well. I recently decided to upgrade my receiver which now has hdmi switching although my display does not. For now I would use component to my display via the receiver and probably use either hdmi for the audio alone or most likely use 6 channel analog between the hddvd player and the receiver.

I agree that when decent titles start rolling in that the urge to jump in will increase linearly with the quality of titles available.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
just bought the RCA HDV5000 last nigt, along with Bourne Supremacy, Fugitive, Apollo 13, and Last Samurai.

Was very impressed with the presentation. The opening of the Fugitive has always looked grainy, but once it translated into day scenes in Chicago, the cinematography truly shines.

I just bought a display last night too (Philips 26 " PF5321D) and havent really worked out the display settings (if anyone has this certain model, please let me know) but in default settings there is no argument. This is the best the title has ever looked and I am so glad Warner made this one of there initial titles. Its one of my favorite films and I can see watching it over and over again just to enjoy the quality.

Bourne, by the way, is absolutely stunning. The level of detail is amazing, and the grain and other faults from the SD DVD are gone.

Still have to spin Apollo 13 and Samurai later on today.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Circus City has regular 10 percent coupons available online which can be applied towards the purchase of the RCA player.

Best Buy also has a 12 percent coupon floating around this weekend that is good on the Toshiba.

- Steve

AaronSCH

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron Schneiderman

Steve, I just watched Phantom of the Opera last night and yes, it was staggering! I cannot remember ever seeing a film with that much color and detail so well rendered. The picture was exquisite and to say it looked like 3-D would not be an overstatement. With all the lights out in the room this film looked better than it did on a state-of-the-art theater screen. I continue to be in awe over the images this Toshiba HD-A1 produces. I cannot wait to see Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, this coming Tuesday.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill

It is definitely worth the wait. And I liked how they included the "Walmart exclusive" DVD content on the HD DVD. Granted, it was only a featurette and three trailers, but the trailers are in HD, and they are just as good looking as the feature.

- Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks