Razzies Announced (1 Viewer)

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Among the "highlights" from the nominations for the 22nd Annual Razzies:
Freddy Got Fingered: 8 total nominations
Pearl Harbor: 6 nominations
Penelope Cruz: Nominated for three films
Mariah Carey's cleavage: Nominated for worst screen "couple" :D

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Ah - now this is more like it! :laugh:
Gotta love the Razzies. Esp. how they always encapsulate the word "winner" in quotes.
Worst screen couple: Tom Green & Any Animal He Abuses (!!!)
I sure hope he "wins". ;)

Eric Thrall

Stunt Coordinator
While I love the Razzies and what they do, I still get annoyed how they use their "Worst Screen Couple" category - it's not really about a screen couple, but it's there to make more fun of people in the actor and actress category. Nominees for "Worst Screen Couple" should be two entities onscreen (people or animals) but the Razzies have four of their five nominees which are NOT screen couples. For example, they nominated Ben Affleck and Kate Beckinsale OR Josh Hartnett. That's 3 people, not two. Either nominate Affleck and Beckinsale or Affleck and Hartnett. It's that easy. I don't really mind the Mariah Carey nomination though - that was funny! :)

Mark Palermo

Second Unit
As usual, The Razzie picks are so trendy and conventional, they fail to invoke any of the counter-cultural spirit that would make such awards worthwhile.

Mark

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I agree, that this is a pretty lame "bad" list.

My points of contention:

Worst Picture: PEARL HARBOR

C'mon! Many people loved it, and those who didn't generally consider it mediocre. I've heard very few consider it "horrible". This is just trying to get "buzz" by picking a popular movie.

WORST ACTOR: Everything there

Somehow, I think, there were some truly horrendous performances out there, that are ignored for the sake of choosing mediocre ones from popular movies.

WORST ACTRESS: ditto

In particular, Penelope Cruz. I thought she did a good job in "Blow", and have not heard much lambasting regarding "Vanilla Sky" either. Angelina Jolie in "Tomb Raider" seems to be accepted as a mediocre role in a medocire movie.

WORST REMAKE or SEQUEL: POTA & JP3

Everyone I know enjoyed POTA and felt it an acceptable successor (including ardent fans of the original). JP3 was better than JP2, and is a very fun movie. Maybe there were only five sequels this year, so they had to include these to flush out the list. Or they are just being trendy and picking popular targets, again.

If that's the worst they could come up with, then this must have been a decent year for movies :p)

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
I am a little surprised that they did not put down any for Croky Romano and Rat Race. Even though I enjoyed them, I thought that the majority of critics hated both of them.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Count me among the people that consider Pearl Harbor "horrible." Ugh!
And I agree that Jurassic Park III was superior to The Lost World. I did hate the Planet of the Apes remake, though. :D

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
If one current film typifies why The Razzies even exist, it's Pearl Harbor. I'm glad that they nominated this expensive turd over much easier targets like The Wash, Pootie Tang, Head Over Heels or Out Cold.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
P.S. Here's the full list of Razzie Nominations:
WORST PICTURE:
Driven
Freddy Got Fingered
Glitter
Pearl Harbor
3,000 Miles to Graceland
WORST ACTOR:
Ben Affleck - Pearl Harbor
Kevin Costner - 3,000 Miles to Graceland
Tom Green - Freddy Got Fingered
Keanu Reeves - Hardball/Sweet November
John Travolta - Domestic Disturbance/Swordfish
WORST ACTRESS:
Mariah Carey - Glitter
Penelope Cruz - Blow/Captain Corelli's Mandolin/Vanilla Sky
Angelina Jolie - Tomb Raider/Original Sin
Jennifer Lopez - Angel Eyes/The Wedding Planner
Charlize Theron - Sweet November
WORST SCREEN COUPLE:
Ben Affleck & EITHER Kate Beckinsale or Josh Hartnett - Pearl Harbor
Mariah Carey's Cleavage - Glitter
Tom Green & Any Animal He Abuses - Freddy Got Fingered
Burt Reynolds & Sylvester Stallone - Driven Kurt Russell & EITHER Kevin Costner or Courtney Cox - 3,000 Miles to Graceland
WORST SUPPORTING ACTOR:
Max Beesley - Glitter
Charlton Heston - Cats & Dogs/Planet of the Apes/Town & Country
Burt Reynolds - Driven
Sylvester Stallone - Driven
Rip Torn - Freddy Got Fingered
WORST SUPPORTING ACTRESS:
Drew Barrymore - Freddy Got Fingered
Courtney Cox - 3,000 Miles to Graceland
Julie Hagerty - Freddy Got Fingered
Goldie Hawn - Town & Country
Estella Warren - Driven/Planet of the Apes
WORST REMAKE or SEQUEL:
Crocodile Dundee in L.A.
Jurassic Park 3
Pearl Harbor
Planet of the Apes
Sweet November
WORST DIRECTOR:
Michael Bay - Pearl Harbor
Peter Chelsom (w/Warren Beatty) - Town & Country
Tom Green - Freddy Got Fingered
Vondie Curtis Hall - Glitter
Renny Harlin - Driven
WORST SCREENPLAY:
Driven
Freddy Got Fingered
Glitter
Pearl Harbor
3,000 Miles to Graceland
NOMINATIONS PER PICTURE:
Freddy Got Fingered - 8 - Worst Picture, Actor, Supporting Actor, 2xSupporting Actress, Screen Couple, Director and Screenplay
Driven - 7 - Picture, 2xSupporting Actor, Supporting Actress, Screen Couple, Director and Screenplay
Glitter - 6 - Picture, Actress, Supporting Actor, Screen Couple, Director and Screenplay
Pearl Harbor - 6 - Picture, Actor, Screen Couple, Remake, Director, Screenplay
3,000 Miles to Graceland - 5 - Picture, Actor, Supporting Actress, Screen Couple, Screenplay
Planet of the Apes - 3 - Supporting Actress, Supporting Actor and Remake
Sweet November - 3 - Actor, Actress and Remake
Town & Country - 3 - Supporting Actress, Supporting Actor and Director

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If one current film typifies why The Razzies even exist, it's Pearl Harbor. I'm glad that they nominated this expensive turd over much easier targets like The Wash, Pootie Tang, Head Over Heels or Out Cold.
Could you elaborate? What is the point of the Razzies? To point out big-budget mediocrity? If so, they need to change their category names from "Worst" to "Worst Price/Performance Movie" or somesuch.

Is it to name-names, regarding average work from those capable of much more? If so, change the category to "Most Dis-Improved Actor/Actress.

Color me too literal, but they don't seem to be fulfilling their apparent objective.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
After seeing the nominations, I think Pearl Harbor deserves to win in most of the categories: picture, actor, director, and screenplay. Also, why is Pearl Harbor in the remake or sequel category?

bill lopez

Second Unit
Even when it comes to the Razzies blacks get screwed!
Where's Snoop Dog,Dr. Dre,etc. etc. as worst actors?:D

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Man is Jason going to be pissed.
He was pulling for Druids to finally get some "respect". (sticking with the quotes theme :))

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Well, I think 3000 Miles and FGF deserved everything they got, high or low profile. And I thought Costner was a huge reason (though not the only one) that 3000 Miles was wretched. I think he deserves it 100% with Tom Green running a tight race with him.

I'm pulling for Harlin for Driven. A wonderfully horrible effort in mis-directing a film right into crap. It takes a seriously bad bit of directing to take that much budget and make it come out that freaking awful.

3000 Miles and FGF are close on screenplay. Awful plot devices and dialog at every turn in both.

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Oh Seth you're right. What are the razzies thinking? Oh, but not enough people on the commitee got to see it. But THIS guy saw it (pointing to himself) and has been dredding the experience ever since August! :)
And through all of this Freddie Prinze Jr. didn't get "nominated" for Summer Catch. Freddie got fingered, indeed! :laugh:
Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks