What's new

Razzie Awards (2023 Edition) (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I haven't seen The Gray Man (yet), but to say that the Russo Brothers "have no clue" how to make an action movie is just...clueless. Even if you want to ignore Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame, Captain America: The Winter Soldier is an outstanding action movie. That said, yes, Bullet Train is amazing, and David Leitch really knows how to make an action movie, too.

Yes, the only thing I have seen from the Russo brothers is The Gray Man, so really I am only judging them on that. I am also doing something, which you could say is not fair, and comparing Gray Man to Bullet Train. My only point in the comparison is that I think Bullet Train is a wonderful action movie and Gray Man, for me, lands with a total thud. I mean, the writing is far better for Bullet Train as well, so I think the makers of Bullet Train have an advantage there but I think the action scenes are staged far better in Bullet than Gray. That's just my opinion but one film was over in a flash it was so entertaining, the other I needed to give two tries to make it all the way through.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I haven't seen The Gray Man (yet), but to say that the Russo Brothers "have no clue" how to make an action movie is just...clueless. Even if you want to ignore Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame, Captain America: The Winter Soldier is an outstanding action movie. That said, yes, Bullet Train is amazing, and David Leitch really knows how to make an action movie, too.
Yeah, we've tread this ground before about the Russos. Apparently they made one film some don't like and we're supposed to completely ignore their other acclaimed action films (which Reggie has stated he hasn't seen, as I recall).

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Yeah, we've tread this ground before about the Russos. Apparently they made one film some don't like and we're supposed to completely ignore their other acclaimed action films (which Reggie has stated he hasn't seen, as I recall).

Well, The Gray Man and Bullet Train were two action movies I wanted to see. I would ask, I mean, if you have seen Gray Man and Bullet Train which did you think was better? I don't think it is even close, Bullet Train was kind of a blast to watch and the performances in it (granted, the writing was fun) were far better than performances in The Gray Man (which I thought was horribly written) so, like I said, one has the advantage of better writing. I would also say that the action in Bullet Train is just staged in a far better way than Gray Man...which has some of the dumbest action scenes I have ever seen.

I had no idea who the Russo brothers were when I was watching Gray Man so, I did not know what other pictures they had made, so I am not knocking them for any of their previous work.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Well, The Gray Man and Bullet Train were two action movies I wanted to see. I would ask, I mean, if you have seen Gray Man and Bullet Train which did you think was better? I don't think it is even close, Bullet Train was kind of a blast to watch and the performances in it (granted, the writing was fun) were far better than performances in The Gray Man (which I thought was horribly written) so, like I said, one has the advantage of better writing. I would also say that the action in Bullet Train is just staged in a far better way than Gray Man...which has some of the dumbest action scenes I have ever seen.
I mean to be fair to the Russos, David Leitch has a lot more experience directing an action movie like Bullet Train so it's not hard to see why he'd be very adept at it.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I mean, if you have seen Gray Man and Bullet Train which did you think was better?
I enjoyed them both. If I was held at gunpoint and forced to rank them, Bullet Train would be above Gray Man, but mostly because there was more plot and characters of interest in BT than any issues with the direction in GM.

I think Chris Evans' performance was in line with the character from the book (which I read shortly after watching the film). That character was written as a narcissistic douche in the book, and I think Evans captured that pretty well.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I love The Gray Man and Bullet Train so shoot me. The Russo brothers not able to film action movies is a ridiculous take.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I mean to be fair to the Russos, David Leitch has a lot more experience directing an action movie like Bullet Train so it's not hard to see why he'd be very adept at it.

Well, I think this is probably the answer to why I feel the way I do. Mr. Leitch likely has a very hands on approach to staging his action. The Russo Brothers (who I can only judge by The Gray Man) probably had considerable assistance staging "Marvel style" action sequences that fit the franchise when doing Marvel films. I mean in the Marvel pictures it has to look like Marvel stuff and can be over the top because you are dealing with superheroes and super villains. That provides for an anything goes approach. In The Gray Man, every action sequence was like a copy of the one before it. Send a whole bunch of people, with a whole bunch of guns, fire a million rounds of ammo to kill one or two people, then blow up the set. This goes on throughout the picture until they stage a hand to hand fight between the leads which is nowhere near as good as any of the hand to hand fights in Bullet Train.

Plus in Bullet Train they do something smart, they get you involved with every combatant. We get a story on all of them. I mean they are both hitmen killing hitmen stories but for me, one had me involved the whole way through, the other I just kept shaking my head and wondering who thought this was a good idea?

The action in Bullet Train is designed to tell the story, not just to give us an action sequence. In Gray Man I feel like they keep sending too many guys with guns and blowing up and destroying the sets because they spent so much money on the film they have to destroy as much stuff as they can. So, why send one guy when you can send 40, destroy half of Prague, and blow up location after location. None of it makes sense and basically they repeat scenes in the movie.

It's like nobody said "Hey, this isn't a Marvel movie!", it is supposed to be secret spy hitmen, not fighting WW3 destroying sections of entire cities.

But, the reason we are discussing it is because bad, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. I am much more aggravated with a picture if they spend an obscene amount of money and only come up with a mediocrity or worse. Which is why I feel Gray Man would make my Razzie nomination list. They had everything for it to be good, money, great cast, Ana de Armas, an interesting story idea, Ana de Armas, did I mention Ana de Armas is in Gray Man?

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
To be fair, I haven’t seen many 2022 movies but, Black Adam was the worst for me personally. That movie bored me from beginning to end.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

This follows backlash for nominating a 12-year-old.

Just highlights that the Razzies should be put out to pasture.

At one point, they acted as an antidote to Hollywood smugness, but now they just feel unnecessary and irrelevant.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
It just wasn’t a great idea to make fun of a 12 year old- seems to come under the issue of bullying. I don’t feel that the Razzies are unnecessary though- should be some balance against the other awards, that celebrate the industry patting each other on the back. When a bad idea gets made into a film, or a film just stinks, or it’s badly acted or written, the makers should be called out for it.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
It just wasn’t a great idea to make fun of a 12 year old- seems to come under the issue of bullying. I don’t feel that the Razzies are unnecessary though- should be some balance against the other awards, that celebrate the industry patting each other on the back. When a bad idea gets made into a film, or a film just stinks, or it’s badly acted or written, the makers should be called out for it.

I think there’s a place for such awards - but it’s more the fact they’ve made a couple of bad decisions the last couple of years that makes them feel more nasty than just humorous ribbing. First, calling out Bruce Willis for doing a bunch of B-movies but not knowing the story that he has aphasia and wanted to do a few more movies while he can before retiring… and now this bullying of a 12-year-old. It’s good they recognized what they did and made changes, similar to the HFPA after the Golden Globes were on the outs.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I think there’s a place for such awards - but it’s more the fact they’ve made a couple of bad decisions the last couple of years that makes them feel more nasty than just humorous ribbing. First, calling out Bruce Willis for doing a bunch of B-movies but not knowing the story that he has aphasia and wanted to do a few more movies while he can before retiring… and now this bullying of a 12-year-old. It’s good they recognized what they did and made changes, similar to the HFPA after the Golden Globes were on the outs.

I don't blame Razzies for the Bruce Willis thing, as no one knew at the time he had cognitive issues.

We all piled on there since Willis was making like 253 movies a year, all of which were terrible.

But the nom for the kid was bad from the start.

And a look at this year's noms in general makes Razzies seem more irrelevant. The noms are mainly for movies hardly anybody saw.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
When a bad idea gets made into a film, or a film just stinks, or it’s badly acted or written, the makers should be called out for it.
When the people 'officially' calling out those bad movies are nothing but armchair quarterbacks who have likely never made anything, I disagree with that. Not to mention that they only focus on well-known bad movies and they throw in a big name (like Tom Hanks) to be controversial, the Razzies are trash.

And before anyone says "You have to have made a movie in order to criticize a movie?", of course not but the difference between some dope like me or a respected & intelligent film critic saying a movie is bad and what the Razzies does is the holier than thou attitude. The Razzies are just smug and snarky while other folks are just venturing an opinion.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Good gesture for the Razzies to give the award to itself for nominating the 12 year old female actress.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks