What's new

Raw Deal (1948) on Blu-ray December 12th (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It just keeps getting better for fans of Anthony Mann directed film noirs. Coming from ClassicFlix on December 12th.

CLASSICFLIX: Raw Deal - Special Edition is Coming in December -- 3 Day Special Price
About 2 hours ago by David Kawas
Anthony Mann's Raw Deal (1948) comes to Blu-ray in a Special Edition this December 12th from ClassicFlix.

This highly celebrated film noir re-teams director Mann with his T-Men collaborator cinematographer John Alton and stars Dennis O'Keefe, Claire Trevor and Marsha Hunt (WHO TURNS 100 TODAY!).

Having undergone a major restoration, this Special Edition will also be loaded with bonus features, including a 24-page booklet (info below).

Retail price is $39.99, but for three days only (until October 19th) you can pre-order the Blu-ray for only $24.98.

A restored DVD version is also being issued on the same date and will retail for $24.99, but will not carry any of the added content that is on the Blu-ray.

SYNOPSIS:

All Joe Sullivan wants is “a breath of fresh air.” But when you’re serving time in stir for robbery, fresh air is a rare commodity. That’s about to change though as mob boss Rick Coyle has greased the skids inside the prison walls, so Joe can make it outside where girlfriend Pat will be waiting.

But things don’t exactly go as planned for the duo as car trouble during their getaway forces them to get help from the only person nearby -- strait-laced legal assistant Ann Martin, whom they kidnap and use to evade capture. Things aren’t going as planned for Rick either who set up the escape fulling expecting the fugitive to get “cut down” so he could keep the $50,000 he owes Joe for taking the rap for him.

Now past the dragnet, the trio each find themselves increasingly conflicted in their loyalties and core beliefs as Joe is torn between the two women, who both care for him, while Pat and Ann each make decisions that prove they’re not as bad, or as good, as they’re supposed to be.

Raw Deal presents the moviemaking team of director Anthony Mann and cinematographer John Alton at the peak of their success (fresh off their box office smash T-Men), offering dark, moody atmosphere filled with fog-shrouded landscapes and characters who are no strangers to the “left-handed endeavor” of crime. Scenarist John C. Higgins (He Walked by Night) and co-writer Leopold Atlas offer a taut, suspenseful tale of one man’s desperate bid for freedom and the two women who love him.

Dennis O’Keefe, star of the earlier T-Men, contributes a first-rate performance as the determined Joe, with Marsha Hunt (Pride and Prejudice) as Ann and Oscar® winning actress Claire Trevor (Key Largo) as the fiercely loyal Pat. Raw Deal also features a suitably slimy Raymond Burr as Rick, John Ireland as Burr’s sadistic henchman Fantail, and noir standbys Regis Toomey and Whit Bissell. Raw Deal is film noir at its finest!

BONUS FEATURES (Blu-ray Only):

• Feature length audio commentary by author and film historian Jeremy Arnold
  • Deadly is the Male: The Making of Raw Deal - A Featurette with writer and film historian Julie Kirgo, film historian & director Courtney Joyner and biographer & producer Alan K. Rode
  • Dennis O’Keefe: An Extraordinary Ordinary Guy - A featurette with Jim O’Keefe (son of Dennis O’Keefe) and biographer & producer Alan K. Rode & film historian & director Courtney Joyner
  • PLUS: A 24 page booklet with an essay by author Max Alvarez (The Crime Films of Anthony Mann) featuring stills, posters and other production material
  • The mono soundtrack has been restored is uncompressed on this release

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Nice! I should have "T-Men" in my mailbox today and will be ordering this one shortly. Thanks, ClassicFlix.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Oh, for a minute there I thought it was the Schwarzenegger movie, and I said to myself: oh, great! this gets a new scan!! :lol:

PatrickDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Patrick
A better film than "T-Men" (in my opinion) and one of Mann's very best (top five out of 41 total). Can't wait to see it in a cleaned up high-def blu-ray transfer.

Spili

Agent
Real Name
Marco
Marsha Hunt is still alive - and this announcement came on her Birthday no less. :) Is there anything included in the upcoming release with her?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Added preorder link, but the release date of December 12th is still pending on Amazon's site.

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A heads up that TCM's Noir Alley with Eddie Muller is showing this film on Sunday at 10:00 a.m. ET. I'm going to watch it and see how much this Blu-ray improves the video and audio presentations when it comes out in December.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
After viewing TCM's showing of this fine film there is little doubt this ClassicFlix Blu-ray release will be a huge improvement over that TCM showing. I can't wait to see the visuals on this upcoming Blu-ray.

Great shout out by Eddie Muller to Marsha Hunt and her 100th birthday.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just added another bonus feature to RAW DEAL, an image gallery with rare stills, posters and other promotional material.

- David
Has this title been pushed back to January 16th, 2018? That's the release date Amazon is now showing for it.

Last edited:

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
Hi Robert,

Yes, January 16th.

The original elements were in very poor condition and even though December 12th could have been hit, and it would have been light years ahead of previous releases, it would not be up to our standards as a label for a "major restoration" so i couldn't in good conscience release it this year.

Fans will like what they see and I can guarantee the extra 30 days will be worth the wait.

FYI - He's a sneak peek at what it looks like so far...

David​

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Hi Robert,

Yes, January 16th.

The original elements were in very poor condition and even though December 12th could have been hit, and it would have been light years ahead of previous releases, it would not be up to our standards as a label for a "major restoration" so i couldn't in good conscience release it this year.

Fans will like what they see and I can guarantee the extra 30 days will be worth the wait.

David​

I've seen this film a couple of times in a re-run theatre and a few times on TV. I've never seen a good presentation so I'm waiting with a kind of quiet desperation for the Blu-ray disc. A few weeks more don't matter to me if the quality is improved.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Hi Robert,

Yes, January 16th.

David​

I have no problem with the wait, I just wanted to alert our membership of the delay.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks