What's new

Rap is 25, and its best days are past? (1 Viewer)

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
i dont know if i would put akrobatik on a list yet.

internet mcs is a hilarious song, to be sure.

and some of his other stuff is good as well.

but i just didnt feel Balance when i listened to it, though i will give it another listen to just make sure.

Mr. lif is pretty sweet though, even if his voice annoys me at time. i could listen to Live From the Plantation at least 10x in a row without minding.

also, i cant even start on producing, because there are too many producers out there that i think do great work. and its the beats that got me into hiphop to begin with.

JasonK

Supporting Actor

Weird in such a great way! Doom and Madlib seem to fit each other's style well. I've listened to this album numerous times since it's release a few weeks ago, and love it. My favorite track is "All Caps" with the rolling piano loop.

If you like this, I'd suggest checking out other albums by the 2. Such as:

Quasimoto - The Unseen.

Madlib - Madlib Invades Blue Note. A great album for a lazy afternoon. While some have criticized Madlib for not digging deep enough into the Blue Note vaults, there are some great tracks like "Stepping Into Tomorrow" and "Montara."

MF Doom - Operation Doomsday. MF Doom lyrics over MF Doom beats. This was his first release after the death of his brother, Sub Roc, who was also part of KMD. Sample sources include the Scooby-Doo theme, old Fantastic Four cartoons, Quincy Jones, and Roy Ayers. Excellent album.

KMD - The Best of KMD. Even though they only did 2 albums, the first (Mr. Hood) is oop. There's 10 or 12 tracks from that, and another 10 or so from Bl_ck B_st_rds. Both albums are terrific.

There's plans for a new KMD album this year, but the lineup remains unknown to me.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member

I was getting that feeling. The record definitely warrants many a listen. I was appreciating the stoner/intellectual/comic feel of the whole thing. There may be a bit too many "interludes" and transitions for me, though, which seems to plague a lot of hip-hop albums. But I like the idea of abstract hip-hop, which Dr Octogan has given me a taste for.

I read mixed things about Operation Doomsday.

Speaking of wacky samples, I want nuts when Madvillain sampled by favorite video game as a kid, Street Fighter II in one of the tracks ("Yoga flame," "yoga fire," from the character of Dhalsim and various screams and yelps from Chun-Li).

I've been meaning to check out KMD and have read good things about Quasimodo. I'm also dying to hear Deltron 3030- their mention in this thread got me to read about them and it seems like it would be right up my alley.

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
if you want the most abstract of hiphop, then i must suggest anything that Dose One has been involved with. in fact, i dont even know if i would actually call it hiphop. some albums to look for:

Dose One & Boom Bip - Circle
Dose One - Hemispheres
Dose One - Slowdeath
Greenthink -
cLOUDDEAD - Ten (and there is a remixed version of the song Dead Dogs Two, remixed by Boards of Canada, that is much much better than the original song)
cLOUDDEAD - s/t
Themselves - The No Music
Themselves - Them

beware though, this is definitely avant garde/abstract

you could also check out
Deep Puddle Dynamics - Taste of rain...why kneel?

which is Slug from atmosphere, dose one, and a couple more anticon rappers (sole and alias), plus the best of anticon's producers.

JasonK

Supporting Actor

Trust me, if you like Madvillain then Doomsday is right up your alley. I'd actually put it ahead of Deltron 3030, to be honest, although Deltron is excellent as well. MF Doom has done A LOT of work in the last 2 years (Monster Island Czars, King Geedorah, various 12" singles, Viktor Vaughn) but Doomsday is the only one where it's him rapping over his own beats. He handles all of the production on King Geedorah, but only raps on a handful of tracks.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Listened to Madvillainy again and it's totally growing on me. Man, those guys are so stoned...

Rap to me is best when it's either angry (genuinely angry, not fake gangsta bullshit) or funny, and Madvillainy is definitely funny.

Where do you guys buy this music? It's rarely in record stores and I hate ordering from Amazon.

JasonK

Supporting Actor

I buy most of this stuff on LP, so it's online for me. Usually from the Sandbox Automatic site that David listed. It's not overly expensive, and that site gives A LOT of free stuff with orders, from mix CDs to T-shirts. However, it's best only for pre-orders. I usually wait until there's about 3 items I want. For instance, Ghostface Killah's new album "Pretty Tony" will ship next Friday - so I'll throw in a couple other cds/LPs in the order and usually everything shows up by the following Thursday.

In the past when I've ordered something with out a pre-order in it, it took around 3 weeks before it showed up...

For CDs I'm lucky, though. I can get anything in print through work.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I will definitely check out those sites when I have cash. Right now I'm spent because of all the classical SACDs I won on ebay.

Kevin Farley

Second Unit
www.turntablelab.com

Great guys, funny site, and lots of hip hop on vinyl and cd. They only carry what they like, and they describe the hell out of everything they sell, letting you know just why you need this or that album/12"/cd.

Also, they carry lots of early funk, disco, mixes, stuff like ninja tune, warp, etc. and hardware gear.

Sandbox Automatic is awesome as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks