What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

RAINTREE COUNTY on Blu? (1 Viewer)

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Warner's have a lot to learn about marketing. In the days of video they were so snobbish that they only released them in selected outlets .(at least in Australia).With no internet it was impossible to know where to buy/rent a Warner's film..Even today they refuse to post dvds overseas. If you live outside the U.S.A. then it is bad luck unless you can find an outlet that will post Warner's titles overseas.

We are still waiting for a bluray of one of the all-time greats in American musicals: YANKEE DOODLE DANDY.How about it Warners?

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Paul Rossen said:
I too have the movie program. I have over 100-150 of them I will eventually want to 'move'...
On the Raintree County topic a number of people have stated that TCM as well as the VHS tape show/were the complete 'uncut' version'. I'm not so sure that the TCM version which does include the Overture Intermission/Entr'acte music is in fact complete. Is it?
Its 188 minutes and complete.

mgmcamera65.jpg

Roger Grodsky

Stunt Coordinator
TCM has RAINTREE COUNTY on their schedule on March 31 @ 12:30AM ET (actually the morning of 4/1), listed in their magazine at 173m (the next film is listed to begin at 3:30, obviously not enough time for 188m, but the listings are sometimes incorrect). Also that night is the interview with Eva Marie Saint from last year's TCM Festival.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"SCORSESE box? He is one of the most overrated directors of all time!"No he is not! (your turn)

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I agree that Martin Scorsese is overrated as a director in as much as none of his films are amongst my favourites. I think Hitchcock is the greatest followed by Spielberg. Others on my list would be Fritz Lang and John Sturges. Currently I think Chris Nolan is the best.

Edward Dmytryk the director of Raintree County also directed many films I like.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Roger Grodsky said:
TCM has RAINTREE COUNTY on their schedule on March 31 @ 12:30AM ET (actually the morning of 4/1), listed in their magazine at 173m (the next film is listed to begin at 3:30, obviously not enough time for 188m, but the listings are sometimes incorrect). Also that night is the interview with Eva Marie Saint from last year's TCM Festival.
I still don't believe that the TCM version is the complete version. At one time someone at YouTube placed the cut scenes online and I have yet to see them in the body of the film.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
Paul Rossen said:
I still don't believe that the TCM version is the complete version. At one time someone at YouTube placed the cut scenes online and I have yet to see them in the body of the film.
That was me, and they were pulled for copyright reasons. TCM showed the reconstructed version a few times in the late 90s. I haven't seen it on that channel since.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
bujaki said:
I saw Raintree County during its original roadshow presentation in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Impressive presentation and, I believe, shown in its original 70mm stereo format. I think this was only done for international showings. It's a long, lumbering, fascinating movie. A new generation of film lovers should be able to appreciate its many virtues (and defects) in the best possible presentation.
Plus to have one of Ms. Taylor's best performances, and at her loveliest, missing in action for so many years, is positively shameful. Here's to you, Andrew, Raintree's biggest champion!
Thank you so much! That's really kind of you. I love the film so much, and hope one day it will finally be restored. How lucky you were to see it on the big screen!

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I hope things aren't as dire as that. I still hold out hope.I DVR'd it last week, and my recording stopped after about an hour. I thought it was a cruel April Fools Joke. ;)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
cinerama10 said:
THE ALAMO was a flop and only the finale was memorable on the 70mm screen..I understand it is due for bluray later this year? Maybe if John Wayne had made a factual film about the ALAMO instead one of fiction ,it would have been more successful.. As it stands today,it is a work of mostly fiction.
Most of the main events were factual. The film was not a flop. It did well at the box office, just not well enough to offset its cost.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Andrew Budgell said:
I hope things aren't as dire as that. I still hold out hope.I DVR'd it last week, and my recording stopped after about an hour. I thought it was a cruel April Fools Joke. ;)
On TCM Saturday, July 19, 1:15pm EST.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Sorry Andrew it just upsets me with the junk that is put out there why we cannot have this movie restored even if it is to DVD. How long willwe have VHS machines around?I support your efforts and admire how you have gone about keeping the flame alive.Mark

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Mark Collins said:
Sorry Andrew it just upsets me with the junk that is put out there why we cannot have this movie restored even if it is to DVD. How long willwe have VHS machines around?I support your efforts and admire how you have gone about keeping the flame alive.Mark
DVD versions are out in Spain and Italy, no idea how good they really are.Having had to privilige to watch a 35mm IBTech print of Raintree County I have to say that it deserves nothing less than a BD release - the cinematography is on of its strongest assets and it would lose all of its impact on DVD.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
OK. I was a mere child of 7 or 8, but I did see Raintree County in its full glory when it played in Puerto Rico. The roadshow version released there was, not only complete, but also the Camera 65 version, which I believe, was never released in the USA. I remember loving it, although I did not understand many things at the time. Of course, I saw it several times after that, still in PR, in 35mm, I think still uncut. I've never seen it in the States, so it's been a long time since my last viewing (over 40 years).

Edward Weinman

Stunt Coordinator
OliverK said:
DVD versions are out in Spain and Italy, no idea how good they really are.Having had to privilige to watch a 35mm IBTech print of Raintree County I have to say that it deserves nothing less than a BD release - the cinematography is on of its strongest assets and it would lose all of its impact on DVD.

...one of its other strongest assets is the remarkable Johnny Green score that accompanies "Raintree County"...

john a hunter

Screenwriter
bujaki said:
OK. I was a mere child of 7 or 8, but I did see Raintree County in its full glory when it played in Puerto Rico. The roadshow version released there was, not only complete, but also the Camera 65 version, which I believe, was never released in the USA. I remember loving it, although I did not understand many things at the time. Of course, I saw it several times after that, still in PR, in 35mm, I think still uncut. I've never seen it in the States, so it's been a long time since my last viewing (over 40 years).
All the evidence shows that no 70mm prints were struck for release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks