Radio

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Gary->dee, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

[​IMG]

Ok to be honest I had been thinking about starting this thread for a while because this movie has become the joke of my office. It looks like a very corny movie. It might be the greatest movie since... Forest Gump for all I know but I'll probably never know because I'm not planning on seeing it. The only way I'll see this movie is if I go with a group of people and we're all holding hands. And I have sweaty hands so be warned.

"We're not teaching Radio. Radio's teaching us!"

2. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

My girlfriend and I make fun of this movie on a daily basis. Like I Am Sam, it appears to want to champion the, um, mentally deficient, while at the same time making them objects of ridicule. ("What pants I put on?")

They should have just named the movie Oscar Bait. Cuba Gooding Jr has made some lousy choices in his career, but I expect a little better from Ed Harris.

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Geez, at least see the film before passing judgement on it.

4. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

Robert we're just discussing this movie and in doing so our opinions of what we know of the movie are being expressed. [​IMG]

I think I'm going to write a script combining the slasher/revenge genre of Kill Bill and the sympathetic mentally challenged hero genre of Radio and Forrest Gump. I'll call it Radio Kill or Kill Radio, not sure which one yet, but it'll be about a mentally challenged samurai swordsman played by Jim Belushi that kills all the wrong people in his quest for revenge.

5. MartinTeller

6. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Well, I didn't think much of the Kill Bill trailer, but after seeing that film twice, the trailer didn't do it justice in my opinion. I recognized a long time ago that trailers are not always the best indicator as to the quality of a film.

Crawdaddy

7. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

8. Al Stuart

Al Stuart Stunt Coordinator

9. Rob P S

Rob P S Screenwriter

rob
    I hate to sound like an old man, but I'll never know why people will anxiously run off to see whatever sadistic, violent, vulgar movie comes out, and sneer at any movie that looks like it might be uplifting. Even though I love Pulp Fiction, I have no desire to see Kill Bill and couldn't care less if QT ever makes another movie. However, when the Hoosiers/Rudy guys make another movie, I'll be first in line. As far as Radio goes, hopefully it won't be another I Am Sam, but with Ed Harris and Alfre Woodard in the cast, it shouldn't be a total loss.

10. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

11. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor

12. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

Just watched the trailer. "Oscar Bait" is right, although "Manipulative, Condescending Piece of Dreck" might be even more accurate, but of course I doubt I'll ever find out, since the trailer's enough to keep me away from this one.

13. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

Having worked with the developmentally disabled in the past, I can say this looks like another Hollywood Retard Movie.

In saying that, I mean the character will not act like any actual, flesh and blood developmentally disabled person in existence. Just like Sam before him, Radio will be some kind of exaggerated caricature, that, while fun to ridicule, will be in no way a representation of reality.

Has Cuba Gooding Jr. ever been asked in an interview on TV or in print why he continues his quest to commit career suicide?

14. MartinTeller

Some of my favorite movies are uplifting. Few of them sadistic, violent, or vulgar. I loved Seabiscuit.

From what I can glean from the trailer (and in my experience, a movie is often worse than its trailer, but rarely better), the message of Radio seems to be "Everybody should have a pet retard!"

15. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    This trailer makes my wife sad. She's a sensitive lass. It doesn't get any better when I laugh at her and tell her she's sad about Cuba playing Buck the Wonder-Slave.

Because that's what the trailer indicates. No judgement on the film...just the marketing.

Spot the reference [​IMG]
    Chuck

16. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

Speaking about wives, this is very high on my wife's list to see even though I'm dubious about the film myself. I'll pass judgment after seeing it.

~Edwin

17. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Supporting Actor

Dennis
    I haven't laughed that much at a trailer since...well, "I Am Sam" [​IMG] I'll probably end up getting dragged to see this as well, so it sounds like I'm in the same boat as a lot of you! [​IMG]

-Dennis

18. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

I think the sneak preview is tonight.

~T

19. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

20. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer