What's new

Radio (1 Viewer)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
there's uplifting as in Iron Giant, The Color Purple, Fried Green Tomatoes, Chocolat, Amelie, and the new tv show Joan of Arcadia.

Then there's cheap, stereotyped, maudlin, saccharine, exploitative, tv-movie crap.

Why do so many acknowledged good actors feel their resume isn't complete until they've played a blind, retarded, mentally ill, crippled, or HIV infected character? Hell, Hanks has done at least 2 of the above, Gooding had to do one, Tom Cruise, Dustin Hoffman, Sean Penn, have all gone down the "victim of the week" road.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Does anyone know the name of the music or where it was first used? It is used quite a bit in previews, so much so that I figure where it came from has been lost to the general public.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Since the film is being advertised as "Inspired by a True Story", can anyone provide a link to the actual story of the mentally challenged Radio? I'm afraid this is going to weigh in heavily on my thoughts on the film.

~Edwin

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

It is a bit Gumpish, but I know it's not from that movie. I have the soundtrack and I've seen the film enough times that I would know.

Bob Movies

Stunt Coordinator
I saw Radio on October 9 at an industry screening in Toronto. I went into the movie expecting to hate it, since I thought it would be overly sentimental like some of the other posters in this thread. When I saw the preview in the theatre I thought there was no way it could be good... I was even thinking of skipping the screening, just because it seemed bad.

It was a fun movie, very genuine and uplifting. I enjoyed it a lot. Cuba Gooding was amazing in his performance - it wasn't an "I Am Sam" Oscar-grab, it seemed real. I couldn't tell that he was acting, it just seemed natural.

As for the true story, it's addressed in the film, which is interesting since most "based on a true story" films don't have information about what actually happened. It wasn't my top film of the year, but if you go (or get dragged by someone else) I think you'll enjoy it!

Bob

Matthew Todd

Second Unit
Since the film is being advertised as "Inspired by a True Story", can anyone provide a link to the actual story of the mentally challenged Radio? I'm afraid this is going to weigh in heavily on my thoughts on the film.
I don't have a weblink, but I know the true story is set in Anderson, SC. The high school is T.L. Hanna. I have some cousins who went to school there, and know something about the real "Radio." Hopefully with that bit of info, you may be able to find more background on the real story on the web.

Matt

After a brief search, here's one newspaper article on the subject:

http://www.theeastcarolinian.com/vne.../3f81d15b76834

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Thanks for the info about the music! I've heard that theme in so many other trailers it's always bugged me that I don't know where it's from. I think I even remember seeing the Dragon trailer recently and hearing the theme but figuring it was borrowed for that as well.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
The story seems compelling enough given that the setting is in the South during the height of the civil rights movement. But I agree that they took the cheesiest lines for the trailer. I will wait for the rental.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
:star: :star: :star: :star:

I loved it. It's not nearly as cheesy and sentimental as the trailers would have you believe - and one scene in the trailer isn't even in the movie. Ed Harris is solid as ever, Cuba Gooding is fine, as are Alfre Woodard and Debra Winger in largely thankless roles. However, S. Epatha Merkerson (of NBC's favorite show Law & Order) threatens to steal the movie in a touching role as Radio's mom. One major plot twist is telegraphed and there are a few corny scenes, but overall it's wonderful. Anyone who doesn't go in with his mind made up just might be surprised.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks