What's new

racing games (1 Viewer)

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
well, the best racing game i have ever played would be need for speed : porsche challenge. it was fun and challenging. tight control, beautiful graphics. "bring this car to the buyer in PERFECT condition under 2 and half minutes!" woohoo.

i really want to like gran turismo 3, except the fact that players need to play on the same course over and over again, which gets old really fast.

please recommend me a fun racing game. i prefer arcade-ish gameplay to realistic ones.

btw i have xbox, gcube and ps2, so recommend me anything.

Dan B

Screenwriter
The obvious recommendation would be to recommend Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 for the PS2. I haven't played it yet, but the reviews of the PS2 version are very good. I doubt that it has the nice physics of NFS Porsche, which were actually an almost perfect blend of realism & arcade playability IMO.

I also really like Project Gotham Racing on the Xbox. Besides also having great control & physics, it has the Kudos challenges where you have to do things like fishtail, get your car on two wheels or airborne, etc. in order to get a certain amount of Kudos & pass the level. Some people don't like it, but since you said you like arcade gameplay you might enjoy it. It's a deep game that'll take you forever to beat if you don't get bored first.

-Dan

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
The obvious recommendation would be to recommend Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 for the PS2.
That's a good recommendation. I got it at Toys R Us along with GTA Vice City and Sly Cooper, and I've played NFS more than the other two. The courses are super long, the cars are awesome, and the handling definitely arcade-racer like. It's my favorite racing game on any platform so far. (But that may be because you get to outrun the cops!) It's a ton of fun to have a cop on your tail, and drive head on towards an oncoming car, and at swerve at the last minute only to see the cop hit the oncoming car in your rearview mirror.

Bottom line, NFS Hot Persuit 2 is a great arcade-like racer.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
Gran Turismo 3 is a good game spoiled by there being no AI. The computer-controlled cars do nothing more than follow an exact, pre-specified path. That is not racing. And it is also not enjoyable because the "AI" cars will do anything to stay on that path. They'll drive right into your car and do other stupid things that make no sense. It's a fun 2 player game, though!

The need for speed games are cool but I never liked the arcade feel.

Project Gotham is another arcade racer, but it's kind of interesting in that the Kudos system rewards you for hotdogging and doing unrealistic things. It doesn't really operate under the pretension of being a sim.

I haven't tried Sega GT 2002 yet..

VinT

Agent
Hot Pursuit 2 for PS2 is a must. This game is so much fun it's unbelieveable. Plus it's super addictive, especially with 2 players.

I love GT3 but its not recommended for most people, especially casual gamers. But I'm a total car nut and I love the ultra realistic handling. GT4 is going to be so awsome.

hwshi

Stunt Coordinator
when and if you get on-line with your xbox,fire up motogp and let the addiction begin!

Damien

Supporting Actor
Moto GP Xbox is the best bike game out by far
GT3 of course on PS2
ATV off-road 2 will be good
then there is Project Gotham Racing, very good and hard
Rallisport challenge is also well done
Sega GT 2002 also is nice if you are sick of GT and want damage.
burnout 2/need for speed 2 are good for ps2

Brian Bowles

Second Unit
The most realistic game is Grand Prix Legends or Nascar 2002. Need for Speed Porsche and Grand Turismo are not bad but really arcade games. I hear NFS Hot Pursuit 2 is terrible and the worst of the series but I have not played it. It is hard to say what the best game is. To me the the best game is the most realistic but some like to only play casually so that would not be good for them.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
. I hear NFS Hot Pursuit 2 is terrible and the worst of the series but I have not played it.
It may be the 'worst of the series', I have no idea, but it's far from terrible. It's excellent on the PS2, and very good on the XBox.

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
Burnout 2! If you want an arcade racer this is as good as it gets at the moment... a HUGE improvement on the original and much more fun!

Damien

Supporting Actor
i rented nfs...it's pretty abysimal on xbox....this i would stay with the ps2 version...and i second the thunder rec...43 cars on one track

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
Brian Bowles: You're right on about Grand Prix Legends... havent played it in awhile, I should install it again. But if any of you racing fans want a CHALLANGE, then you can't find one better than Grand Prix Legends... it's also a few years old, and never sold well (it's very hardcore) so if you can find a copy it should be pretty cheap. I even seem to recall that it was released for free with some gaming mag once.

Brian

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I think they just put out or are about to put out Ferrari F355 Challenge on the PS2. It was a great (and tough!)realistic racer on the Dreamcast.

So hard, it was practically impossible to play without a wheel!

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
Aaron: I occationally read rec.autos.simulators, a newsgroup devoted to hardcore racing simulations... most console racers are looked down upon there, but I do remember reading some raves about Ferrari F355 Challenge... I guess it must be out in some places, as I found a review for it at one site so far (they didnt like it, complaints about the graphics, sense of speed, and AI). I'd love to see a realistic sports car simulation (with damage) on the PS2... one where most races are actually fairly lenghty, and if you destroy your car, your race is over.

Brian

EdR

Second Unit
For arcade-ish fun, I really love WRC. There's nothing like rally racing on twisty, uneven tracks to break the monotony of circuit-based racing.

There's also V-rally 3, which is less arcade-ish, demands a bit more care, but is still quite fun. It has fantastic damage modelling, and the cars can become incapacitated if you do too much damage.

The recommendation for NFS:HP2 is a good one, at least on the PS2, it's a blast.

If you're looking for something with a high-degree of difficulty and an edge-of-your-seat exciting drive, try World of Outlaws: Sprintcars. this game is great. It's all small circuit races, but there's a lot of other cars which you have to jockey with...strategy and technique are important in this game.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
As far as racing games go, I much prefer road courses. I guess ovals can be fun if you're doing some wheel to wheel racing, but for just hotlapping, road courses are much more exciting and challanging (to race too). I hope Pro Race Driver ends up being good... some of the stuff I've seen about it looks promising... I just hope the racing aspect wasn't sacrificed too much for the story aspect.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks