racing games

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by felix_suwarno, Nov 2, 2002.

1. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

well, the best racing game i have ever played would be need for speed : porsche challenge. it was fun and challenging. tight control, beautiful graphics. "bring this car to the buyer in PERFECT condition under 2 and half minutes!" woohoo.

i really want to like gran turismo 3, except the fact that players need to play on the same course over and over again, which gets old really fast.

please recommend me a fun racing game. i prefer arcade-ish gameplay to realistic ones.

btw i have xbox, gcube and ps2, so recommend me anything.

2. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

The obvious recommendation would be to recommend Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 for the PS2. I haven't played it yet, but the reviews of the PS2 version are very good. I doubt that it has the nice physics of NFS Porsche, which were actually an almost perfect blend of realism & arcade playability IMO.

I also really like Project Gotham Racing on the Xbox. Besides also having great control & physics, it has the Kudos challenges where you have to do things like fishtail, get your car on two wheels or airborne, etc. in order to get a certain amount of Kudos & pass the level. Some people don't like it, but since you said you like arcade gameplay you might enjoy it. It's a deep game that'll take you forever to beat if you don't get bored first.

-Dan

3. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

4. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

Gran Turismo 3 is a good game spoiled by there being no AI. The computer-controlled cars do nothing more than follow an exact, pre-specified path. That is not racing. And it is also not enjoyable because the "AI" cars will do anything to stay on that path. They'll drive right into your car and do other stupid things that make no sense. It's a fun 2 player game, though!

The need for speed games are cool but I never liked the arcade feel.

Project Gotham is another arcade racer, but it's kind of interesting in that the Kudos system rewards you for hotdogging and doing unrealistic things. It doesn't really operate under the pretension of being a sim.

I haven't tried Sega GT 2002 yet..

5. VinT

VinT Agent

Hot Pursuit 2 for PS2 is a must. This game is so much fun it's unbelieveable. Plus it's super addictive, especially with 2 players.

I love GT3 but its not recommended for most people, especially casual gamers. But I'm a total car nut and I love the ultra realistic handling. GT4 is going to be so awsome.

6. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I hear Burnout 2 is pretty good...

7. hwshi

hwshi Stunt Coordinator

when and if you get on-line with your xbox,fire up motogp and let the addiction begin!

8. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

Moto GP Xbox is the best bike game out by far
    GT3 of course on PS2
    ATV off-road 2 will be good
    then there is Project Gotham Racing, very good and hard
    Rallisport challenge is also well done
    Sega GT 2002 also is nice if you are sick of GT and want damage.
    burnout 2/need for speed 2 are good for ps2

9. Brian Bowles

Brian Bowles Second Unit

The most realistic game is Grand Prix Legends or Nascar 2002. Need for Speed Porsche and Grand Turismo are not bad but really arcade games. I hear NFS Hot Pursuit 2 is terrible and the worst of the series but I have not played it. It is hard to say what the best game is. To me the the best game is the most realistic but some like to only play casually so that would not be good for them.

10. BrianB

BrianB Producer

11. DeanWalsh

DeanWalsh Second Unit

Burnout 2! If you want an arcade racer this is as good as it gets at the moment... a HUGE improvement on the original and much more fun!

12. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

i rented nfs...it's pretty abysimal on xbox....this i would stay with the ps2 version...and i second the thunder rec...43 cars on one track

13. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

i will give the pc version a try. thanks for the suggestions.

14. BrianShort

BrianShort Supporting Actor

Brian Bowles: You're right on about Grand Prix Legends... havent played it in awhile, I should install it again. But if any of you racing fans want a CHALLANGE, then you can't find one better than Grand Prix Legends... it's also a few years old, and never sold well (it's very hardcore) so if you can find a copy it should be pretty cheap. I even seem to recall that it was released for free with some gaming mag once.

Brian

15. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    I think they just put out or are about to put out Ferrari F355 Challenge on the PS2. It was a great (and tough!)realistic racer on the Dreamcast.

So hard, it was practically impossible to play without a wheel!

16. BrianShort

Aaron: I occationally read rec.autos.simulators, a newsgroup devoted to hardcore racing simulations... most console racers are looked down upon there, but I do remember reading some raves about Ferrari F355 Challenge... I guess it must be out in some places, as I found a review for it at one site so far (they didnt like it, complaints about the graphics, sense of speed, and AI). I'd love to see a realistic sports car simulation (with damage) on the PS2... one where most races are actually fairly lenghty, and if you destroy your car, your race is over.

Brian

17. Michael Cook

Michael Cook Stunt Coordinator

Pro Race Driver is coming out soon. I hear it is a good game.

18. EdR

EdR Second Unit

For arcade-ish fun, I really love WRC. There's nothing like rally racing on twisty, uneven tracks to break the monotony of circuit-based racing.

There's also V-rally 3, which is less arcade-ish, demands a bit more care, but is still quite fun. It has fantastic damage modelling, and the cars can become incapacitated if you do too much damage.

The recommendation for NFS:HP2 is a good one, at least on the PS2, it's a blast.

If you're looking for something with a high-degree of difficulty and an edge-of-your-seat exciting drive, try World of Outlaws: Sprintcars. this game is great. It's all small circuit races, but there's a lot of other cars which you have to jockey with...strategy and technique are important in this game.

19. BrianShort

As far as racing games go, I much prefer road courses. I guess ovals can be fun if you're doing some wheel to wheel racing, but for just hotlapping, road courses are much more exciting and challanging (to race too). I hope Pro Race Driver ends up being good... some of the stuff I've seen about it looks promising... I just hope the racing aspect wasn't sacrificed too much for the story aspect.

Brian