What's new

R3 English subbed GODZILLA VS. BIOLLANTE and RETURN OF G (1 Viewer)

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
New R3, Hong Kong discs of these are available now. I've no idea about the quality. Previous releases were "iffy" (and non-anamorphic), though they did come out several years ago. Still, for $8 a piece, a nice, inexpensive alternative to the $60, English subtitle-less Toho discs. Check 'em out:

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...id-1004513818/

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...id-1004513818/

EDIT: I've just ordered these (under $20 for both, shipped!) and will post screenshots once they arrive (unless someone else beats me to it).

AndrewWickliffe

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Wickliffe
I ordered these too, similarly concerned about the PQ.

However, it's worth the few bucks and, if they aren't that good, at least there's that Australian company, which should get around to these two by next summer.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
From some screengrabs on another site, it looks as though Biollante is anamorphic and, strangely enough, Return of G isn't. I don't have my copies yet, but that's what it's looking like.

Not sure about Return of Godzilla, but Madman/Eastern Eye won't be coming out with a Biollante disc, which makes this R3 one all the more attractive!

JayHM

Stunt Coordinator
Not only is RETURN OF G not anamorphic, it's a horribly soft transfer. As far as I'm concerned, you might as well watch a VHS. The Toho R2 DVD looks a million times better. (Of course, no English subs on the Toho...)

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
Yeah, you're right: not great. Still glad I got it, though. I'd never seen Return of G and... well, no way I'd pay $60 for the Toho disc of this(!).

Universe Laser is now coming out with Godzilla vs. Mothra ('92) and Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah. Early, unconfirmed reports are that Mothra is anamorphic and King Ghidorah is not (basically the cover for the former has "widescreen" across it - like the one for Biollante - and the latter does not). Stay tuned...

AndrewWickliffe

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Wickliffe
I didn't watch Godzilla 1984, but I did watch the Biollante. Nice enough. Too bad about the 1984, but really, is it ever going to come out nicely with English subs? Last I heard, Anchor Bay was only allowed to release the dubbed Raymond Burr version.

You'd think Toho would just make website exclusives and charge people through the nose... I mean, really... they'd make money.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
They're available from DDDHouse.com for quite an inexpensive price. Next time I order from them I'm going to buy the first four films of the VS. series. Here's to hoping Universe releases Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla and Godzilla vs. Destroyah.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks