What's new

Quick Q on the Mitsu DLPs (1 Viewer)

Todd D

Auditioning
I searched the forum first to make sure I couldn't find an answer...

I know from browsing this forum, there are not many Mitsu fans here; however, I will be purchasing a 60"+ video source in the next week or so. The latest to catch my eye is the Mitsubishi WD-62628 62" 1080p DLP HDTV.

My question is:

How does the DLP within this unit work? Is it a color-wheel projector or does it use a chip?

Obviously, my concern is involving the rainbow effect that seems to be the hot topic surrounding DLP. But, due to the fact that this display will be consistantly used with an X-Box/PS2, I feel that DLP is my logical option to combat burn-in.

Thanks.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Todd:

Ok, first off a DLP generates images by reflecting light off the surface of a digital micro-mirror device (DMD) containing hundreds of thousands of tiny mirrors, then through a color wheel and a lens and onto the screen. So it uses a chip(the DMD) and a color wheel.

The color wheel that Mits uses (I believe it is 7 segment 6x speed) virtually eliminates any type of "rainbow" effect. You are right in your statement about burn in as DLP does not suffer from this.

If you can go to the place that you are considering buying the TV from and have them put all kinds of sources through it. If they have a Satellite feed have them switch to that, then a DVD and then their HiDef feed. Make sure that the picture is good to you with all sources. If they cannot switch this out for you ask them if you would be able to try it out at home to make sure you like it and if not return it.

I have the Mitsubishi 62675 which is the model just before the one you are considering and I have nothing but good things to say about it and the way it handles everything from standard cable to Hi Def.

Parker

Todd D

Auditioning
Parker, thanks for your detailed and complete response.

I went to 2 locations yesterday to check these out.

The Home Theater Store did not have the 62628s and didn't expect them in for a couple weeks. Further, they had sold all of their Mitsu DLPs in preparation for the new sets. But they were able to supply a bunch of info on them.

The next stop was Tweeter and they didn't expect the 628s in until next week, but they had the "old" model set up in one of their HT rooms directly next to the Sammy DLP. I was able to check out multiple sources and the Mis was incredible... the blacks are amazing.

Needless to say, I placed a deposit on the 62628 and can't wait for it to show.

Another quick question though... they have the non-1080p versions still left NIB and they have a great price on them. Basically, $1,000 less than the new ones. Is the 1080p worth the extra?

Thanks again.

TonyWright

Second Unit
To me it seems that the 1080p displays are only good if you have a source that can take advantage of it. If you are set on 1080p then you may want to consider a scaler that is capable of producing a 1080p signal.

I have a Mits WD-52525 and I absolutely love it. I have never been more pleased with a display device. I have never even considered moving to 1080p. Who knows, maybe I will, but I can assure you the picture is just beautiful as is.

Just my $0.02

Tony

John S

Senior HTF Member
Tony? I think I would trust Mitsu to be able to scale all sources for display nearly as well as anything else out there....

The originator of this thread will be one of the few 1080p display owners I know of period.

TonyWright

Second Unit
John,

Um... I'm not sure I understand your tone. If indeed you are responding sarcastically, there is no need. I am merely suggesting that he may have to consider extra equipment to make use of that feature. If Mits has built in capability to scale incoming signals, then great! No need for more equipment.

I'm not going to comment further as I don't quite understand what your intent was with your reply.

For the original poster, I hope you have the best of luck with your new display. 1080p or not, the Mits displays are great!

Have a good one!

Tony

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Todd:

Personally I would pick up the 62675 for $1,000 less or maybe even more as they are trying to more them out. Yes the 62628 will do 1080p but the sources for 1080p are few and far between. You are going to really enjoy your games, etc. on the 62675 as much as you would the 62628. Since you can still get last year's model at a big discount I would jump at the chance.

The Mits will scale whatever you put into it up to its native resolution. The native resolution of the panel for the 62675 is 1280 x 720 and it will upscale standard def, DVD etc. to the native resolution of the panel.

So in addition to having a 7 segment color 6x speed color wheel, the Mits also have glass lenses instead of plastic/glass hybrids and do a great job of scaling.

I normally don't recommend an extended warranty but in the case of any RPTV I recommend any that include the replacement of the bulb. The warranty I got includes the replacement of up to 2 bulbs during the warranty period. Since most warranties for these go for about an extra $400 and one replacement bulb with cost you about that it will pay for itself with one bulb replacement. (Which BTW on the Mits is owner replaceable).

Parker

John S

Senior HTF Member
No sarcasm... Intent was that with such a display all sources will be scaled to 1080p is all, they would have to. An external scaler would be a luxury for sure as it may be better, but not something that would be needed.

TonyWright

Second Unit
That makes sense. I got to thinking about my display last night and the fact that it has to upscale any signal to 1280 x 720. That was a brain fart on my part.

I wonder how much difference a scaler like the DVDO iScan-HD+ would really make. I bet the signal from that device looks good, but I wonder if the cost would be justified.

Tony

John S

Senior HTF Member
With DVI and HDMI it could sure now be tested. Maybe a professional calibrationist would be best for testing purposes? Not sure really. The DVDO iScan-HD+ people are the ones that would benefit from such a test, 1080p is pretty new, they may already have such tests in the works.

Hard to get good information on the scalers in these displays though. The quality of such scalers will be probably the key selling point of displays in the future, much as the Faroudja chips and other de-interlacers are right now in DVD players.

sunilkis

Auditioning
what about the diamond series by mits.......i am also in the market for mits microdisplay...will be running it with the oppo dvd players with the axiom 80 package
thanks

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Sunilkis:

It is my understanding that the guts of all the microdisplays are the same in the Mits line. That is the color wheel speed, glass lenses, etc. The difference in the Diamond line is the addition of the built in PVR, the antiglare screen...more cosmetic upgrades than performance upgrades. If you already have a PVR, etc. then I would go with the middle of the road version like WD 62675 which you can find at a discount now with the newer version coming out.

sunilkis

Auditioning
i dont have the PVR...and i did look at the previous models of mits about 6 months ago and the glare was just too much at good guys.....that turned me off the purchase then...only to be told by the salesman that mits were coming up with a better anti glare screen......and now the debate about 1080p!!!!!!!!!

Todd D

Auditioning
Sorry for dissapearing... comp has been down at home (Thanks Verizon... :rolleyes:)

Great discussion... I really appreciate the help. The 1080s are still not in. I'll give an update as soon as I can actually see one of these in person. I'll make a decision soon after as to go with the new or save some money...

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry
Great discussion indeed. This has me considering DLP when I go shopping. If Mits has taken care of rainbows, my only other balking point would be black level in a darkened room. How do they hold up?

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Barry:

Black level is great. Black is black to me and not grey.

As a side note I just saw one of their new 61 inch LCD models and it looks great too. Mits sure knows how to make some great sets.

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry
Thanks Parker, this is exciting. Haven't told my wife yet, she's still expecting a huge CRT. Of course I'll check in person, hopefully side by side. Space limitation to 8'or 9' distance, so my choices would be limited to a 52" at most. Looking for 48" to 50" but not seeing many on the Mits website. :emoji_thumbsup:

Todd D

Auditioning
OK, based on some of the input here and also on my opportunity to see 2 Mitsu sets side by side... the 720p version and the 1080p version:

I picked up a Mitsu WD62725 yesterday.

After comparing with HD signals, DVD playback and satellite, I honestly couldn't see a difference between the picture of both... this may change when 1080p signals become more popular in the future and at that point, I will look to upgrade. I am completely comfortable and happy with my choice in displays and even more happy that I was able to save enough cash for a new Panamax power block, a few high end signal cables and (when I make up my mind) a new DVD player.

I'm afraid that it is going to take a while to learn how to properly operate this thing, but I'll get there eventually.

My sincere thanks to everyone for your help with this decision.

~ Todd

John S

Senior HTF Member
720p is pretty darn good huh? :)

Can I be nosey and ask what the price was on each of them?

Todd D

Auditioning
I paid $2799 for the display at Tweeter. (I think they advertise at $2999)

The new 1080p 62628 was $4398.

There are some styling diferences as the new sets seem a bit sleeker, but as I said, picture quality is like looking out a window and if you saw both displays side by side in a dark room, you wouldn't be able to tell a difference... at least not with the 720p native material that I saw... and I saved $1600 :emoji_thumbsup:

Now the quest for the DVD player begins... sub $400 range and leaning toward the Pioneer Elite with Denon trailing behind... we'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks