What's new

Is this a good DLP TV and is it worth $700? (1 Viewer)

Mera

Auditioning
Real Name
Rodney Dickman
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=121076745157&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123 He dropped his price to $700. I want an older TV because I'm a channel surfer and all new TV's are terribly slow when changing channels. I want to use the TV tuner. I hook my TV's directly to my cable. No box etc. I tend to like the DLP's. They occasionally need new bulbs and maybe a fan at times. Some reviews on this TV: http://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-WD-60735-60-Inch-1080p-HDTV/product-reviews/B00166BNFS/ref=cm_cr_pr_btm_link_1?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0 Some day the newer TV's will get faster. I'm not sure when that will be but this TV (or one similar) will tide me over until that happens. I only watch cable TV. I turn it on. Surf some. Watch some and turn it off. That is all I want out of a TV. He says it changes channels fairly quick but I have not seen it yet. It is 50 miles from me. There are so many manufacturers and models I'm not sure what is a good value etc. I have been looking for a while now and these DLP's seem to be holding their value some. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks Rodney

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
On black Friday new 73" Mits were going for $799. My local Walmart had 3 new units on sale for $999 just a few weeks ago. The above being said, that price seems high to me.

Mera

Auditioning
Real Name
Rodney Dickman
I have a custom made cabinet in my family room and the TV opening is 56 1/2". So I am limited to a 60" or so TV. Thanks Rodney

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
You're only going to get fast channel changing on whatever analog channels are still on your cable system, digital channels are slower, especially when changing from a 720p broadcast to a 1080i one--it's unavoidable.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Buy an LG TV. They have QAM tuners(the only manufacturer that includes QAM on every TV...even the cheap tiny ones). The channels that will appear as QAM are faster than the "straight digital" channels. And like Steve said..."fast channel surfing" ship has sailed...in the digital world.

Mera

Auditioning
Real Name
Rodney Dickman
schan1269 said:
And like Steve said..."fast channel surfing" ship has sailed...in the digital world.
I'm not a knowledgeable TV person but I have a flat screen JVC LCD TV in our bedroom (model LT-32X787) that is maybe 4-5 or so years old and it changes channels pretty fast. The delay between channels is very minimal. Some but not very much. Rodney

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Mera said:
I'm not a knowledgeable TV person but I have a flat screen JVC LCD TV in our bedroom (model LT-32X787) that is maybe 4-5 or so years old and it changes channels pretty fast. The delay between channels is very minimal. Some but not very much. Rodney
And you prove my point about QAM, your JVC has one. Also, that TV is from 2006/07. Being that old, it was probably made by JVC before they "killed themselves"(voluntarily*) and retreated to making just projectors. *JVC TV today are made by Funai(at least I think it is Funai...they make most of the ODM TV out there)

Mera

Auditioning
Real Name
Rodney Dickman
schan1269 said:
And you prove my point about QAM, your JVC has one. Also, that TV is from 2006/07.
And the DLP TV I am looking to buy is 6-7 years old also. Rodney

Mera

Auditioning
Real Name
Rodney Dickman
Do any DLP TV's have this QAM? Or should I say any 60 inch DLP TV's. Any age although the newer the better. Maybe I should be looking for a used flat screen that has QAM? LED, LCD or Plasma. I'm not that picky. As long as it changes channels reasonably fast it will be better than my 10ish year old Pioneer Elite. I have had problems with channels 2-6 and the upper 80's-90's channels getting very weak/fuzzy. But it started working good again lately. But I can't count on it staying that way. This problem started more than a few years ago and has progressively gotten worse until recently. Thanks for all the replies. Rodney

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
LG, like I said, is the only manufacturer that includes QAM on all their sets. But, a quick Google search of... WD 60735 QAM The first 7 results show that yes, Mits included a QAM tuner.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Speed Speed Speed !! What is this world coming to? :confused: How about going back to an analog TV with the digital converter box?

Mera

Auditioning
Real Name
Rodney Dickman
I did some searching on 60" LG TV's. Here is one that has QAM: http://www.amazon.com/LG-60PA5500-1080p-600Hz-Plasma/dp/B007976WNG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1362883225&sr=8-5&keywords=lg+60+tv Must be a new old stock TV because no one stocks/sells it locally? Is this QAM a thing of the past now? Looking at some new LG TV's that Best Buy currently sells and I did not see QAM listed. Plus every time I go there the TV's they have are slow to change channels. Also I can not check out the TV listed above. I can buy it and hope it works like I want it to. There return policies vary. One lower cost one says no returns if opened and one says returns are OK but one must pay return shipping and associated processing fees. Those associated fees could be significant. Doing some more searching I find I might be able to get it at my local Sears for $800 plus tax: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_05726931000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&kispla=05726931000P&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=31-92027170-2 Plus a no hassle return policy. The web page shows they have one in stock locally. They may not have one on display though. The DLP I was looking at is now changed to bidding with a reserve: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400432198849&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123 His reserve is probably around $700 I would guess. So what to do? If the LG from Sears changes channels reasonably quick I would be happy with it. Thanks Rodney

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That LG is last years, the new one will be out sometime this month. The Amazon listing even shows the TV was made available on March 31st, last year. So...the new one is due anytime.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
if considering an LG plasma, RUN AWAY FROM THE OLD AND OVER PRICED MITS.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Gregg Loewen said:
if considering an LG plasma, RUN AWAY FROM THE OLD AND OVER PRICED MITS.
I'd like to know what this guy is talking about with "changed both lamps for $300". There is only one lamp, they cost $100 and take 10 minutes to change. Still $700....cueing up...

DennisBassi

Second Unit
Real Name
Dennis
I picked up a used WD-60738 on Craig's list last month for $450 including stand. It is 2 years newer with the huge advantage of having built-in 3D rather than needing a 3D converter box which is expensive and hard to find. Also, there is only one lamp, but the lamp for the 60735 is more than the lamp for the 60738, which is $100 direct from Mitsubishi, including housing. I would say that it is too high.

Mera

Auditioning
Real Name
Rodney Dickman
schan1269 said:
That LG is last years, the new one will be out sometime this month. The Amazon listing even shows the TV was made available on March 31st, last year. So...the new one is due anytime.
I did some research and thinking. I have been going to places like Best Buy for at least 2 years now looking at new TV's. They are all slow. So the QAM tuner might be faster but it is still slow. New models are coming out soon. Has anyone heard if they fixed the slow tuner thing? The Best Buy salesman I just talked to on the phone says if someone does make a fast tuner it would be well advertised as he hears many complaints from customers. Rodney

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You've changing channels on the limpwristed "how many other TVs are connected, crappy signal" and basing that on what it is going to do on 5 times better signal at home?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks