What's new
World Wide Stereo

Quick. How to improve 36"Toshiba picture. (1 Viewer)

Kent Wo

Agent
I have a 36HF72 Toshiba and can't seem to get the picture quality as good as I'd like it to be. I've set up the TV using Avia, but with digital cable the picture still looks crappy. Is there any way to improve on the picture quality? I've been using digital cable with the HDTV box and component outputs straight to the set. For one thing the picture comes out compressed in on the sides (not the top and bottom though) and a little fuzzy even on the HD stations and shows. Is there anything I can do about it or is the clarity a reflection of the higher line rate multiplying the static of regular TV?

When I used the same cables and everything and just switch the cable box for the DVD player things work fine. Though even that picture could be better, or maybe I just have too high expectations for my HDTV.

BTW: I'd appreciate quick help since I have a cable guy coming in a couple days and I'd like to solve this problem without his help if possible since they charge for that type of service.
Thanks

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Kent Wo

Agent
Post has been moved...

Anyways, I'm not sure if its the TV or the source (the digital cable box) but I was also wondering if changing the thing about the lines would help (interlaced or progressive etc...) I'm not even sure if thats possible.
Thanks

Kent Wo

Agent
Okay, Got the DVD player to look pretty good. Didn't notice an onscreen feature to turn on progressive scan.

Any suggestions on Cable now?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Progressive scan is always on for this TV. You cannot turn it off.

Cable is the way it is ... nothing much to do about it. Use your calibrated settings for DVD as the starting point for cable images ...

REgards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks