What's new

Questions on splitting a VHF/UHF signal ? Help! (1 Viewer)

Oswald Pascual

Second Unit
Real Name
No Name
I have a VHF/UHF antenna in the attic. I wish to split the video feed from that antenna in order to feed two sat boxes.

My questions are:
1)Should I split the feed as close to the source(antenna)as possible or does it matter where I split it?

2)Would I benifit from amplifying the signal before splitting it or after?

3)Also if anyone could reccomend a good UHF/VHF splitter or amplifier it would be nice.

Thanks

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
There are 2 types of amplifiers, a signal amplifier commonly referred to as a preamplifier and a distribution amp. The preamp is what amplifieres the TV signal. The distribution amp is to compensate for losses in splitting, which should be minimal with a 2-way splitter (around 3.5db) especially if you used RG-6 cable (vs. RG-59). I like the Monster ones or something of equivalent quality. They are not that expensive and come in different quality levels. Probably can find them at Best Buy.

Oswald Pascual

Second Unit
Real Name
No Name
O.K. I have 2 Sat Boxes, I want each sat box to feed 4 rooms. (I am controlling the sat boxes with an RF remote control.) Is there some type of SAT splitter I can use on the output of each sat box to do this?(1 in 4 Out) All of the TERK splitters seem to imply they are for cable or off the air antennas only?

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Oswald,

I do not believe that you can split a SAT signal, as you would a RF signal. I have seen this asked frequently, and the answer is normally no.

To feed multiple boxes, you would need a dish with more then 1 LNB. If your dish has two LNB's, you can use a 2 x 4 (I think that is right). It will feed up to 4 boxes.

If you have 3 LNBs (my dish has that), you may already have a 4 way Multiswitch built in to the dish (I have that too). It would feed 4 boxes directly.

Also, Terk makes a MS that is said to work with an existing dish MS, to provide up to 8 outputs.

Then, if you need to combine OTA with SAT, you will use Diplexors to combine and then separate the signals.

BGL

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Humm....re-read your last post. I think I missed your point.

If you are sending the RF output of the SAT box (which combines Sat + OTA, normally with SAT on Channel 3 or 4), you should be able to use a normal Cable/Antenna capable splitter.

BGL

Oswald Pascual

Second Unit
Real Name
No Name
BrianL

I am not trying to split the actual signal coming from the dish. I am trying to spit the signal coming out of the sat recevier box. The cable that would normally just go from the receiver box to the TV is the one I am trying to split. Basically I want the sat receiver box to feed 4 TV's. I hope this is more clear, sometimes its harder to explain things without a diagram. Is this possible?

If it is I am looking for a good quality splitter since one of the four runs will be long.

Thanks

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Oswald,

As I said in the post previous to your most recent, I think you are OK with a normal RF splitter. I totally misunderstood what you meant.

I have also heard decent things about the Monster splitters, but in my experience, they were no better than a decent quality (not the 1.99 variety!) device that you can get at your local Rat Shack. Your mileage may vary.

BGL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks